Fatwood Hunting with CS Two-handed Panga!

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
The other day I snagged myself one of the new CS Two-handed Panga machetes and did a little standard modifying to it to get it just the way I wanted it. Last Tuesday provided the perfect opportunity (especially since it's raining here today) to try it out on a fatwood hunting expedition--I was almost out and needed more for making fatwood soap! :p

To get out to the woods I have to cross a large hayfield. The hay had already been cut and baled so it was easy trekking until I got to the edge of the field and the swath where the electric towers ran. There I ran into a dense growth of tall grass over soggy terrain (it was growing right over where a small stream runs) that was obscuring my path--if I walked through it not only would I probably get tangled and fall flat on my face, but I'd be falling flat on my face in mud, getting my shoes wet, and probably ending up covered in ticks. Let's see what the partial back edge of my new toy thought about that!

CIMG9809.jpg

CIMG9808.jpg

The view from the other side:

CIMG9811.jpg

Now that I had made it to the woods it was time for some pics!

CIMG9812.jpg

CIMG9814.jpg

CIMG9815.jpg

Note that unlike in the official product images the machete doesn't have the handle grooving you can see here:

CIMG9816.jpg

CIMG9817.jpg

CIMG9818.jpg

Continued...

CIMG9819.jpg

CIMG9823.jpg

The first strike on a poor defenseless log.

CIMG9824.jpg

CIMG9825.jpg

Didn't stand a chance!

CIMG9826.jpg

CIMG9827.jpg

Enlarged it a little more (click for video):

Oh yeah--I was looking for fatwood! Can't let myself get distracted! I found this likely candidate...

CIMG9834.jpg

Last edited:
Paydirt!

CIMG9835.jpg

CIMG9839.jpg

I chopped out a nice big resinous hunk. Time to split it up for easier transport in my bag!

CIMG9840.jpg

Right through a knot!

CIMG9842.jpg

On the way back I found some wild edibles! The machete helped clear a path through the brambles for greater ease of collection. :p

CIMG9845.jpg

CIMG9847.jpg

On the way out I had the time to stop for a few beauty shots. What a great playground!

CIMG9848.jpg

CIMG9850.jpg

CIMG9852.jpg

CIMG9856.jpg

CIMG9858.jpg

CIMG9859.jpg

In closing, I give the CS Two-handed Panga two thumbs up! My only complaint besides a lack of a suitable carry system (which I intend to rig up myself) is the fact that the handle was a bit over-textured and caused a blister to form on my left hand, and almost caused on on my right.

CIMG9844.jpg

Nothing major, and I fixed it the next day by doing some quick sanding with 600 followed by 1500 grit to take the bite out of the excessive texturing. I also put a Condor-styled edge on it, so I can't wait to get it out in the woods again! It's a heck of a tool, especially if you put that back edge on it. For those who have been looking for a true compromise between a machete and an axe, this is it!

They look like tough blades even though the tang looks like it wouldn't extend past the last rivet.

A local store has them but I'm trying to get discontinued Barongs first and them maybe the kukri machetes. The two handed ones certainly has my interest though.

Yeah I doubt you'll have any issues with the tang. It's not just bolted--it's also injection molded and this thing shrugged off some serious chopping! The barong machete is fun and all, but actually my least favorite in my collection for serious work due to the balance point and concentration of mass. I batoned mine to split a tree trunk though, so it's tough! :D

I don't like the concept of a machete meant for 2 handed use. Although I do see how it can benefit it. There are times I wish I had 2 hands on them, but not very often. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing.

You can use it one-handed by choking up on the grip, though it's a little on the clumsy side that way. The way I see it it's an excellent piece of kit for blazing trails and the like, and fits nicely between a regular machete and an axe and will take out stuff close to the ground without having to bend over. I'll be sticking with my Viking for most general stuff for now, but it's a versatile tool that's a lot of fun to go fatwood hunting with! :D:thumbup:

good review.

the original Pangas were thin stock - about 2 mm if i recall - are these thicker in the blade?

i thought that i saw somewhere that they were 3mm like the Barongs and Bowie machetes were - i couldn't find anything on the Cold Steel site regarding the thickness of the two-handed Panga.

vec

IIRC they're about 2.8 mm. I'll have to check my facts though.

Thanks and good review 42B! I was wondering how that short tang and long handle would hold up and it seems to really take a beating. It didn't come with a sheath/scabbard at all? Let us know what you come up with...

ROCK6

It doesn't come with a sheath, but I got the optional one that's available for it. It's more solidly built than the standard panga sheath (has a polymer liner for extra stiffness and durability) but no belt loop/attachment/lashing points etc so all it does is keep the blade covered. It doesn't help with lugging it around at all. I plan on getting some nylon webbing at the hardware store and stitching something up. Probably some crazy tacticool sling/baldric-y thingamajig :D

I've never seen that one (being broke I've stopped looking at MFR websites) but I've used my 2 handed heavy to chop up and delimb a pine tree that fell down at my moms before she passed away and it worked great. The 2 handed grip really offsets how light it was and made fast powerful swings. I like how this one has the sickle edge to the backside, I think that it would be a great addition if one expects to clear out both light and heavy vegitation while cleaning trails for horseback riding or regular hiking trails. Thanks for the review.

Hate to bring a dead thread back, but, on the question of tangs, I have the CS two handed Khukuri machete and it's tang extends the length of the handle as far as I can tell. I took a magnet to it and it stuck the whole way down the handle out past the lanyard hole.

Now, I need one of those pangas.:D

Hate to bring a dead thread back, but, on the question of tangs, I have the CS two handed Khukuri machete and it's tang extends the length of the handle as far as I can tell. I took a magnet to it and it stuck the whole way down the handle out past the lanyard hole.

Now, I need one of those pangas.:D

that's unexpected.

vec

Back