Fatwood Knife Handle

This is mostly a question for any makers that happen to view it...

Is fatwood a feasible material to make knife scales/knife handles out of?

I went for a day hike today, and I came across two different pine stumps that were both rich with fatwood. When I started harvesting some, I was amazed by not only the smell, but the colors as well...

I think fatwood would be one of the coolest materials available to make bushcraft knife scales out of...

Is it possible?

JGON

Last edited:
I've had thoughts of making a handle and sheath from some fatty. I think it'd be kinda cool.

Probably glue/epoxy wouldn't stick to it well-

The material I have is recycled old-growth longleaf yellow pine -straight grained stuff that splits very easily- I'm sure we could come up with several scenarios that would make that a disadvantage.

There are some epoxies designed for resinous, oily tropical hardwoods; maybe that'd work

i think fatwood would lack strength for handles. if it could be stabilized it might be strong enough. i do'nt know if phrenolics could go into the wood pores.
dennis

I doubt it can be stabilized. It's already full of resin. I think it would get your hands all sticky too. I may be wrong.

Would the fact that it's full of resin make it partially stabilized naturally? I don't know if I really understand the full process of handle making using wood, but maybe someone could tell me what "stablizing" actually is when it comes to handle making with knives. I am so curious about whether or not anyone has actually tried this...

JGON

I think you are right..
Now a sheath might be made that has a fatwood holder on it..but it seems a bit much for me. I always carry some in my pack, with some jute twine.

Would the fact that it's full of resin make it partially stabilized naturally? I don't know if I really understand the full process of handle making using wood, but maybe someone could tell me what "stablizing" actually is when it comes to handle making with knives. I am so curious about whether or not anyone has actually tried this...

JGON

I dont think so, IMO it would dry eventually, and split badly.
Much like poorly stored heart wood pine flooring.

I started to make a handle for my ferro-rod outta fatwood the other day but I could see splits in it and decided against it. I don't think it would be a good choice for a knife handle.

I started to make a handle for my ferro-rod outta fatwood the other day but I could see splits in it and decided against it. I don't think it would be a good choice for a knife handle.

Man, I thought for sure you were going to say you made something out of fatwood. A firesteel handle would be cool but I think it would end up just getting used up too quickly unless you used it as true last resort.

I doubt it can be stabilized. It's already full of resin. I think it would get your hands all sticky too. I may be wrong.

First thought was sticky hands. A U shaped hand where you could insert a piece would be kind of cool. Maybe have some kind of cap that snapped in too.

I have made both a fatwood walking stick, and fatwood slide buttons for my knives.

go for it....make fatwood slabs for your knife, BUT cord wrap them tightly.
:thumbup:

I wanted to make a fatwood knife handle, a few years ago, but somehow it never came together.

I dont think so, IMO it would dry eventually, and split badly.
Much like poorly stored heart wood pine flooring.

I have some 8 year old fatwood which appears to be in the exact same condition as in 2002 – not detectably dried out at all. I doubt drying out would be an issue, within the span of a human lifetime, but that may depend on the particular batch of fatwood.

I don't think it would be a suitable candidate. The resin that fills the poores isn't hardened, and especially during hot times, it moves. I think it would be perenially stickey. Plus, it would tempt folks to shave pieces off of my handle. Not gonna happen. Also, the dust would be like napalm everywhere in my shop.

but pits comment about a ferrorod handle is spot on.
made one at my kids suggestion, slice off a couple of curls of fatwood, than scratch off some ferrorod shavings.
1 stroke on the ferrorod= fire.
a whistle, ferrorod, knife and water bottle kit for each kid. then take them everywhere.

Yeh i probably wouldn't do knife handle, but ferro rod might be ok, if a bit sticky...you could finish it though, and then only scratch off the one spot you needed.

It does look pretty neat sometimes though. I have a little piece right now that is neatly banded with light and dark lines about 1/8 of an inch apart.

Back