Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9"-10"

• 10"+

• Total voters

AA Forge

Custom Knife Maker
Thanks to all you guys how voted and commented in the last thread; but after reading what you guys had to say I decided it would be best to go ahead and start a more detailed poll, so hear it is.

My question is not what length you would choose for a one tool option but instead just what is your favorite sized fixed blade to use and why?

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:
3 Inches is the perfect lenght. I open boxes,mail and cut zip ties with it. If I got one shorter it would take longer to open my mail due to the small blader and the same with boxes. Now if I went with a bigger blade I would take up too much room in my pocket.

Most of my needs are easily filled by a blade between three and four inches long. But if I'm out bushwhacking or camping somewhere I'll definitely be bringing something much larger—at least six inches. A big blade can do a smaller blade's job, after all.

3"-4" enough for some serious work and at same time easy controlable for delicate/precise work if needed.

2 to 3, I carry a delica4 most the time and that blade is perfect size for what i do, i even carry a dragonfly alot also, but i also carry a police for more of defensive situations, depends on the job

3-4 inches is my vote because it gets carried most. Discrete, can go in a pocket or bag easily, and for most tasks in my rather urban environment, it can be used without scaring too many people. That said, I have a couple 2 inch blades that still startle non-knife people. In front of others my SAK gets used the most.

3" to 4" is all I really need for around town or a short week/end camping or fishing and for a week or two I take a Sheath Knife and Hatchet.!*

In the spirit of the original thread- "I've been working on making some new knives and thought I would start a discussion on preferred sizes for a woods knife to help me get an idea of what would be best"- I stick with my original answer of 5". For my purposes in the woods this length has become my go to size. All the knives I've had made, including my first by Adam, they have all been between 4-1/2" & 5-1/2". With most handles being roughly 4-1/2" I think this makes for a well balanced, light in the hand, user friendly blade.

Great topic for discussion Adam, should be fun to watch. Anxious to see your finished product(s) resulting from everyone's input!

I think a 3 or 3.25 inch is perfect for a folder!!

Sorry, I should have been more specific; I'm talking about fix blade knives for the woods and every day use.

Maybe one day I could make some folders, but at the moment I can't.

Thanks,
Adam

Hey Adam,
I find a 3-4 in blade is perfect for most tasks. My family and myself all use blades in that length for EDC as well as hunting. I have yet to need a knife bigger for cleaning deer, hogs, or anything else we hunt. And that size is also a great size in folders as well. And just take the plunge on making a folder, they are difficult at first, but once you figure it out it gets easier. Have a great day.
Daniel Combs

Your poll got advertised to the entirety of bladeforums, and like me folks may have voted before looking at the original thread. 3-4 is what I voted on, and that was mostly referencing EDC pocket knives. For fixed blades, the HONEST answer is similar, 3-4 inches is great for daily utilitarian tasks, and fine for hiking too. But I have folders for that, for a fixed blade I like them to be 4.5-5.5 inches for general purpose, and 10+ inches for chopping and limbing trees.

Lol Ima necker fan, most neckers are between 3-4 inches so I use them most the time, that length just suits me :eek: would love to have an Esee Izula tho :p thats currently in the works of being purchased ;)

Thanks guys for all the comments, you've given me some things to think about.

I probably own more fixed blades in the 3-4" range than any other size--easy to carry and very functional for most purposes. But I voted for 4-5" because I love carrying a 4" - 4.5" knife in the woods--like the Nessmuck you made me--it is a very useful general purpose size. Now, when it comes to military blades...I like 5.5"-6". :shame:

Just wanted to update it and see if any others have been thinking about the perfect blade length scenario again.

Last edited:
Back