1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Favorite Blade Steel?

Discussion in 'AA Forge Knives' started by AA Forge, Mar 13, 2019.

1. O1

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. A2

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. 52100

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. 1095

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 80CRV2

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. 3V

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  7. AEB-L

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Nitro-V

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. CPM 154

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  10. CPM S35VN

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. AA Forge

AA Forge Custom Knife Maker Moderator

Apr 8, 2010
    Let's hear what your favorite steel is and why!

We are tooling up to work with some higher performance steel in the future and I'm simply curious on your alls thoughts. We will always work with the standard carbon steels (which are my favorite), but I want to expand our options a little. Unfortunately I'm limited on the poll options, so if you don't see your favorite feel free to simply post it up!

Let's hear it!

2. mmmotorcycle

mmmotorcycle Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 17, 2006
    For my needs, 3V is a great all around option. I don't find it exceptional in any way but it is a great balance of what I need in a fixed blade.

That said, ALL the steels on that list are ones I have used and enjoyed for various reasons.

jux t likes this.
  3. bonafide

bonafide Leather Sheathmaker, JouFuu Leathers Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2013
    Rex 121. Hardness, takes abuse, keeps a razors edge.

LC200n .. this is my favorite. Its not a stainLESS steel .. it's stainPROOF. Pretty much anti corrosive steel. Holds a HARD edge, but still pretty easy to sharpen.

mmmotorcycle likes this.
  4. DirtyPhill

DirtyPhill

Nov 13, 2007
    Would enjoy trying a sloyd in 3v incredibly interested in seeing how it would perform with a traditional Scandi ground blade.

mmmotorcycle likes this.
  5. ajvail18

ajvail18 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2017
    3V is my favorite steel. I would like a few blades in an easy to maintain stainless!

mmmotorcycle likes this.
  6. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    52100 for a carbon steel. Holds an edge well and seems to be quite tough. I think AEB-L is one I would like to see more of in bigger blades as it's supposed to be quite similar to 52100 in characteristics but stainless. I don't see much big enough to test that out but it would be nice to get something like a Leuku (6-8") in AEB-L to test that theory out.

7. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    I may look to see if I can get it!

8. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    3v is not that great at reel fine edges which is most of my hesitation with it.

9. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    Aeb-l and Nitro-v are the best I have found so far!

mmmotorcycle likes this.
  10. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    I actually happen to have some huntsman's and leukus planned on aeb-l. Unfortunately they won't be available until next month at the earliest.

ajvail18 likes this.
  11. DirtyPhill

DirtyPhill

Nov 13, 2007
    What about Maxamet it Elmax?

12. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    AEB-L has impressed me with how easily it takes a great edge and it's proven to have pretty good edge retention and toughness IMHO.

13. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    I plan to give Elmax a try at some point.

14. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    Same here!

15. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    Chasing the next super steel is getting old. I am pretty happy with my niolox which is basically D2

16. Zippo2

Zippo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2018
    I have always favored 80CRV but I have couple of AA's that are my only 52100 that I can't find fault in.

17. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    I do not live near the coast so I like carbon steels. 52100, 5160(for heavy knives).

CPM154 is a good stainless.

Bill

18. batonbuck

batonbuck

Dec 23, 2017
    Can't pick just one since final use is a factor.
    In Va. we have had about 70 inches of rain in last year so stainless steel is the new go-to.

19. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Out of the choices listed?

Yes! (1095 would be my last choice though.)