Favorite folder steel!

Want to know others opinions on their favorites steels for folders if you can choose one you like best! You can pick one stainless and one non-stainless!

Depends on the company aND the heat treat.

Spyderco s30v

Emersons 154cm

Cts-xhp across the board from spyderco to RJ martin has been really good to me as well.

My taste have changed a lot used to I was all about edge retention. Now a days I like a steel a little softer and a little tougher .

Non stainless is cpm cru wear if it can even be found anymore for a folder.

I'm partial to Buck's S30V blades. I have a couple. Will eventually have more.

My favorite steel for modern folders is M390/CTS 204P - for traditionals, Queen's D2 (semi-stainless) has performed admirably.

Depends on the use really. For beater EDC, something that cleans up easy is more important than something that takes abuse. AUS8 is great for light cutting. If I want tougher, I like S30V, but will disagree with the above and state my experiences with Buck's S30V have always resulted in unjustified chips. My serrations on my Vantage Force Pro especially are like glass. :( I'd say I received a bad model but I know lots of people who avoid Buck's harder steels.

3V for non-stainless, 20CV or equivalent for stainless.

Although I do like M4 and 10V from my experiences with them. They just cut for days...

Mid range steel- VG-10 and AUS8
Higher end- S30V (best all around)
Super- S-110V and M4

CTS-XHP, N690co, Hap40 and CPM-154. I'm not to picky though to be honest. Spyderco'so Hap40, and N690co are two steels that impressed me a decent amount during pretty heavy use.

I like m390 the best, even more so than m4. For mundane daily tasks, I found n680 (not n690co) to be fantastic steel. I like it much more so than vg10/n690/vg10. I like it much more than h1 as well.

Back