Favorite hunting knife?

Just finished up this set of food drop point hunters for a customer one for him and one for each of his three sons. Blades are 4" AEB-L heat treated with a cryo to HRc-62. They have stag handles with a Randall model 27 spacer pattern, each knife feature a different mosaic pin in the handle of a different animal. Each has a hand tooled 8-9 once leather sheath. IMG_3358.jpegIMG_3359.jpegIMG_3409.jpegIMG_3407.jpegScreen Shot 2020-11-05 at 6.18.20 PM.jpeg

Just finished up this set of food drop point hunters for a customer one for him and one for each of his three sons. Blades are 4" AEB-L heat treated with a cryo to HRc-62. They have stag handles with a Randall model 27 spacer pattern, each knife feature a different mosaic pin in the handle of a different animal. Each has a hand tooled 8-9 once leather sheath. View attachment 1450667View attachment 1450668View attachment 1450669View attachment 1450670View attachment 1450671

Wow!

Beautiful work!

Just finished up this set of food drop point hunters for a customer one for him and one for each of his three sons. Blades are 4" AEB-L heat treated with a cryo to HRc-62. They have stag handles with a Randall model 27 spacer pattern, each knife feature a different mosaic pin in the handle of a different animal. Each has a hand tooled 8-9 once leather sheath. View attachment 1450667View attachment 1450668View attachment 1450669View attachment 1450670View attachment 1450671

You do amazing work, Scott.

Buck Alaskan Guide 110.
+1000. Or the Buck 112 . Either of any steel iteration, but preferably the 70s era 440c.

I've used many knives including D2 Knives of Alaska. They do a fair job, but nothing I've seen goes through multiple deer like the Buck 110 or 112. They sharpen back up with relative ease , ready for the next task

Great knives, quality construction fair price and fit in your pocket

Those are some fine looking knives Scott, also fantastic work on the sheaths--your fit and finish is outstanding, quite a gift ! --I collect full tang hunters, I have had several Bark Rivers and they make a great knife with some great steel choices, but costly and the blade grinds may not match from side to side. I have been collecting hunters from an outfit here in the states that specializes in Russian knives called Breathtaking Steel, that would be a good place to start along with Russian Knives and Martini in Italy--the prices on these knives are some of the best I've ever seen and the craftsmanship is pretty close to flawless -- just a couple more suggestions on possible options.

I have seen a full tang hunter, D2 steel, beautiful knife, good looking leather sheath, it's a "Masalong". I've never heard of it before but it looks mighty good. Have any of you heard of this brand ? I've been trying to find out where it's made and it's possibly Indonesia -- the quality seems to be top notch------- I used to be on this forum a lot, but 20 years ago and now I'm not able to hunt anymore but still collect choice fixed blades -- I jumped in here to suggest at least check out the offerings from Breathtaking Steel and Russian Knives, both have a web site here in the states and both stores are run by extremely helpful friendly folks --they both have a lot of choices, so the right thickness and blade material might not be too hard to find.

I have photos of the ones I have and would post them but I haven't figured out the procedure yet ----------- John

Just finished up this Scagel style hunter a while back, and getting it ready to send to the customer. Blade is 4" 5/32" AEB-L heat treated with cryo to HRc 61-62. Guard is brass and soldered oil place. Spacers are a combination of Micarta, G-10, brass and leather, and handle is a mule deer crown. The sheath is hand tooled 8-9 oz vegetable tanned tooling leather.

IMG_4384.jpegIMG_4395.jpegIMG_4387.jpeg

This is now my favorite, and I searched for one of these for years: an A. G. Russell Gents Hunter in stag. 6-3/4" OAL. Works very well on the small game critters that I hunt. Might work well on larger, but I do not know about that personally not having tried it out. Small drop points are my personal favorites.
5cs2NLX.jpg

Drop point hunters with Randall model 27 handle pattern. Blade 4"long by 5/32" thick AEB-L heat treated with cryo to HRc to 61-62. Handle spacers micarta, G-10, brass and nickel silver and stag. Hand tooled 8-9 oz. vegetable tanned leather sheath.

IMG_4391.jpegIMG_4392.jpeg

Just finished up this Scagel style hunter a while back, and getting it ready to send to the customer. Blade is 4" 5/32" AEB-L heat treated with cryo to HRc 61-62. Guard is brass and soldered oil place. Spacers are a combination of Micarta, G-10, brass and leather, and handle is a mule deer crown. The sheath is hand tooled 8-9 oz vegetable tanned tooling leather.

View attachment 1687727View attachment 1687728View attachment 1687729
Wonderful work on both the knife and sheath.

Wow Scott Hanson Scott Hanson great work as always! Tiny tiny oak leaves my friend. They gotta be tough.

I don't make a lot of hunters but recently completed a couple of my Sonoran Hunters out of 26C3. They are at 63-64RC.

This one has a sheephorn handle and a jasper spacer:

CNdJC6m.jpg

yGFC1kq.jpg

This one had an elk handle and an ironwood spacer:

NnLOKPv.jpg

fQbwZ6l.jpg

Wow Scott Hanson Scott Hanson great work as always! Tiny tiny oak leaves my friend. They gotta be tough.

I don't make a lot of hunters but recently completed a couple of my Sonoran Hunters out of 26C3. They are at 63-64RC.

This one has a sheephorn handle and a jasper spacer:

CNdJC6m.jpg

yGFC1kq.jpg

This one had an elk handle and an ironwood spacer:

NnLOKPv.jpg

fQbwZ6l.jpg
Great looking knives, always nice seeing your work Dave. Tiny oak leaves not as tough as it looks, a few good smacks on the end of the stamp with my mallet and there done.lol

Back