1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Favorite knife steel

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Earl1, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Agreed !
    + 1

2. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Got my first CTS-XHP..CS Swift. Like it so far. No hard use yet though.
    M390 next.

3. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Apr 9, 2008
    Coated high speed cobalt steel

Why settle for less in a cutting tool?

4. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012
    For me is ZDP . The caly3.5 is one of my most carried knife sharpened it maybe twice the knife holds its edge really well . Can't say the same for M4 and S90V . I do like M390 but haven't used it much . .

5. `br4dz-

`br4dz- Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2016
    M390 and it's American counterparts hands down, for the obvious reasons and the fact that it just gets ridiculously sharp.

6. navman

navman Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    I like S110V...I know I am probably in the minority but it's stainless abilities and the very aggressive edge that it holds for a very long time keeps me coming back to it for everyday use.

7. Daverageguy

Daverageguy

Nov 19, 2004
    All of them that cut.

8. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, anyone need anything Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2017
    52100 is hard to beat for sharpening, awesome patina, and takes a nice edge.
    But you can't go wrong with M390 either.

9. PNWhovian

PNWhovian

Jan 16, 2015
    3V and 5160 are my current top choices for fixed.

S35VN for folders.

hugofeynman likes this.
  10. betover

betover Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2015
    ATS-34 always found it easy to get/maintain a keen edge

11. Salival

Salival

Apr 9, 2014
    INFI, ztuff, d3v for big blades. Really high impact resistance, busse's maybe a little bit easier to fix when things go too much south.

Zwear, cruwear, 4v for the medium blades.

Elmax, aeb-l, for the small ones.

Hard to choose one, but if I really had to, for how I use mostly my blades and based on where I live, I would go with infi.... Or d3v :p

Currawong and hugofeynman like this.
  12. hugofeynman

hugofeynman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2011
    For big ones: K600, NZ3, Ultrafort (Maraging steel), A8mod, Infi, 5160, 6150, any well heat treated high impact steel, although I have some Vanadis 4 extra big choppers with a thicker geometry that won’t break.
    Medium: Vanadis 4 extra, 52100, 3v, 10xx Carbon steels
    Small: Vanadis 4 extra

Steel I wouldn’t mind to try: properly forged and heat treated Aermet 100 or Ferrium M54, in a big chopper.

Another steel I think can handle anything: AEB-L.

13. Roguer

Roguer

Jan 5, 2015
    Well...being a bit ignorant and such of all the lastest uber duber super steels and such. If I could afford a good lot of them I wouldn't be very ignorant on them.

5160 is my favorite for my general use fixed working blades/tools so I rarely now have to worry about a fail, of which I had only one fail the usual test I did on them to make sure they won't fail me when needed. It was an older model and the rest NEVER failed me from well...other people would call abuse if they saw me do some things with them. But then its steel on wood what I do mostly and I expect Steel to win every time!

A few other steels...well the yesteryear steel of 154CM works well on a few folders I recently got and used. The Buck 110 in S30V...oi its a mini light saber! On expeditions I pair the more higher grade steel folders with a 420HC steel blade of the same model for their easier to sharpen ability and more abusel work and well back ups are life savers I find. The higher grade steels got their bushy tasks I put them through when needed, and do the finer critter cutting.

14. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    The very best is still the mysterious Rostfrei :p

15. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I'll go by what I own the most. VG10, D2, S30V, 154CM, and CTS XHP.

Unless I win the lotto, I will probably never see Maxamet, Cruwear, Vanadis, etc. I just won't spend that kind of $ on a knife to get those steels and I'm ok with that.

If someone walked up and said I could only carry my Delicas or Enduras in VG10 the rest of my life, I'd be just fine.