Favorite Masters of Defense Knife?

Originally posted by Horus
I hope, that it will be the Harkins collaboration! ;)

Whatever it's called, I know that I want it!

standard

ReconTech, good strategy...get 'em all!

RL

If I'm not too late to weigh-in, I like the CQD II. I have both the I and II, but the II seems like the better package (unless you REALLY need the line/seatbelt cutter). Open, the CQD I is over an inch and a half longer than the II, yet the II gives up less than half an inch in blade length. The CQD II is a more efficient package if you are considering blade/handle ratio. Of course, it's all due to the CQD I's line cutter. If MOD would make a CQD I without the cutter, then I would have to buy another one.

Aren't all the MODs overpriced, really? Maybe my ignorance of martial bladecraft is showing -- I just don't see why they're better than a Benchmade with similar features.

I don't think that Martial Bladecraft is an issue - it's just what you are willing to spend to get a finely crafted instrument.

I recently upgraded my Tag Heuer F1 Chrono to a Breitling Chrono Avenger. When my wife told her friends that the Breitling cost $2500, someone (there's always one, isn't there?) remarked that their Casio told time just as well. To which I replied that, if you were driving somewhere, you'd probably rather make the trip in a Ferrari or Mercedes than an old clunker. The end result is the same; it's the trip that counts.

I look at my mid/high end folders the same way. Sure, I could get by with a Spyderco or Benchmade; in fact, most of the time I do. But when I have occasion to carry my CQD or MT LCC, I marvel at the smooth opening and locking, and the fine tolerances that make it possible. Do my Spydercos and Benchmades cut just as well? Sure they do. Do I enjoy handling and carrying my more expensive folders, because I know how well they are built? Of course I do.

It all boils down to what you are willing to spend. If you don't think that a knife is worth $200, then to you, it isn't.

MODS overpriced?

I can get them for about 125.00 discounted if I look hard enough on the internet.

Hell, spydercos cost that much and more retail and aren't half the knife in the end.

Overpriced? Quality will always cost you more.

Brownie

Is MOD still selling the collector's kit, a wooden box with all the knives displayed in it?

CQD mark II !!! I use the black half serrated automatic version as EDC for about a year now. It never failed and it shows no signs of wearing.

ReconTech said:
I'm trying to decide between a MOD Trident, MOD Tempest, and a MT Mini Socom Elite (Manual or auto on the MT). Only problem is, I can't find a local store to try out the Microtech in. But I have found three local stores for the MODs..which is a main reason I like MOD better. It is available...while MT is not in stores around here...

So maybe one day soon I can decide between a tempest and a trident, or both :)
Yea, the store I work at, we have ONE microtech, but its $1,150. The Scarab with Damascus Blade and Carbon Fiber handle...MT's are tough as **** to find

Wunderbar said:
I agree with Johnniet. MODs are overpriced. They currently don't even offer a satin finish.
haha, i agree, MOD's are Great knives, but are overpriced which makes it almost not worth buying them. But they are still fun to play with in the stores :p

Klesk said:
If I'm not too late to weigh-in, I like the CQD II. I have both the I and II, but the II seems like the better package (unless you REALLY need the line/seatbelt cutter). Open, the CQD I is over an inch and a half longer than the II, yet the II gives up less than half an inch in blade length. The CQD II is a more efficient package if you are considering blade/handle ratio. Of course, it's all due to the CQD I's line cutter. If MOD would make a CQD I without the cutter, then I would have to buy another one.
lol, the line cutter makes it the Mark I, thats why they made the Mark II. I cant decide which i like better haha

I had the Tempest, Hornet, and Trident. I liked the Tempest the best but I sold them because I like Satin Finishes. :(

Back