Favorite SAK, Victorinox of course..{:~>

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Phantom4
Don't know how the Cowboy got it's name, maybe because it's a plain/no-nonsense type of knife, much like the hard working Cowboys are? Though I've not had much use with the screwdriver and I'm pretty sure that horses don't use phillips screws to hold the shoes.

G2

Blues

Only Taken Out of the Box for Photos
Staff member
Super Mod
I've had good luck with an older version of the Super Tinker and am currently adding a Rucksack to my collection.

I wanted the locking blade, wood saw and corkscrew which were not available on the Super Tinker.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

I carry the Adventurer. It has all the blades that I use, same as the Tinker, but it is bigger with a 3.25" locking blade.

The Explorer is also my favorite. I've got a few more that see some use! I bought a Camper model for less than $10 at a PX when I was about 11 I think. They don't hold an edge for very long, but they are still some of the best knives available. For some reason I can't bring myself to buy a Wenger. They just seem like a distant second to me.

What diferences do people see between the two brands ? I've noticed that the scissors are thinner on the Wegner but the edges have small serrations, I'm not a big user of scissors on lnives, the handles on the Wegners don't sound as solid, and some of the tools don't cam open as crisply as on the typical Victoronix. I've never been impressed by the edge holding of any Swiss arm knife so it's not something that I'm sensitive to.

Ah, the SAK -- quality never goes out of style.

My favs are the Huntsman and the Explorer. I also have a Scientist that is a handy thin one.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
[email protected]
AKTI Member A000847

Specialization is for insects.

I think I read in an old issue of Knives Illustrated that Victorinox makes about 34,000 SwissChamps alone each day. This doesn't include all the other models. This probably makes Victorinox the biggest factory production-wise in the world, yet in each piece I've seen or handled, the precision, QC, and workmanship have been outstanding.
Victorinox is definitely one of the very few (maybe 2 or 3 altogether) factory brands I can trust enough to buy out of a sealed package, i.e., w/out necessarily having to check the action and QC.
Jim

Yep, the SAK's are trusty ol' tools. I believe I've had one (or a few!) since I was maybe 7 or 8. Recall learning how to skin w/one; taking 'em everywhere "outdoors" twice over; and, of course, torturing small bugs in the schoolyard in elementary school!

Have a half-dozen whose names I cannot remember -- in the car, kitchen, office, home desk. I take the Adventurer traveling.

BTW, the Vnox website <www.victorinox.com> shows a model called the "Locksmith" which apparently isn't available in the US, but which I imagine would be very popular. Essentially a Trailmaster w/the addition of the nice file/hacksaw found on the SwissTool. Anyone seen/used/own it?

Glen

------------------
"(Those who fail to re-read are obliged to read the same story everywhere)..." -Roland Barthes

I like the Swiss Champ. It has everything on it (even the things you dont really need--corkscrew--but you never know when you might need it) and has the highest cool factor.

------------------
Johnny
[]xxxxxx[]=============&gt;

I've been carryibg an Officer for almost nine years. Other knives come and go but my SAK and a small Gerber Ti bladed lock-back seem to keep going and going and going...(TM)

I carry other knives with these and haven't found anything to replace either of them yet. I just spent some time on the blade of the SAK and it came back to "really sharp", just short of hair poppin', in no time.

dwight

------------------
This post is a natural product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

ET

Victorinox Climber was my first knife and it's served me well. Really like the can opener design compared to the Leatherman type design. But ever since I picked up a multi-tool, the SAK has been pretty much sitting in my desk. I've also got a SwissCard which is really nice and it's something I keep in my wallet everyday. Pen comes in very handy.

------------------
ET

Funny, I seem to go full circle on my hobbies. I start small and then always go up and up in price and suposed quality. I got my first SAK 25 years ago and have carried more SAK's than anything else. I strayed heavily for years, and have only recently come back to the tried and true Victorinox. I've probably got a dozen of them in my collection and couldn't tell you the names, but they are mostly of pocketable size.
I carry two on a daily basis now, a "Rambler" on my keychain and a nameless version I've never seen before in my pocket.
This one has the ballpoint as well as a magnifying glass. Love it. Just got a Walther version through an English supplier too that is very cool.

Okay, I'll quit rambling now.
smile.gif

------------------
-Tim-

An Executive is always on my keyring, and I have a Wenger Traveler. After having the Traveler around for years I've somehow never gotten around to buying a "real" corkscrew. . . it occasionally raises eyebrows at the dinner table!

I've got a SwissBuck (read: Wenger). I owned a Huntsman some years ago (until I decided to Be All I Could Be and they confiscated it in reception battallion) which I was very happy with as well. The main reasons I went with the Wenger this time were the flat screwdriver blade that locks open under pressure (hell of a neat idea), the beefier spring mechanisms in the scissors and pliers (slip-joint no less LOL), and it happened to have black scales. Now, I do have to agree that the overall finish on the Vic's is a bit higher, and the blades are sharp right out of the box. But I sharpen my own knives anyway and being that the SAK is never the only knife on me, the blades are of fairly minor concern.

Regards -- Shades

P.S: Still hate the cross-mounted phillips driver...

------------------
The deed is everything, the glory nothing.

I carry the Explorer and a small SAK as well. Right now my small SAK is the Midnight MiniChamp II, with the pen and red LED light. I do not miss the toothpick and tweezers as I have them on the Explorer

I carry the huntsman in my survival kit when camping and hiking. The wood saw is a must, and the other tools are handy, and in a compact package. I also carry a Rucksack model, usually on army reserve weekends, love that long locking blade, this knife also has a saw blade.

------------------
"How do I stop this thing?"

Well, today I bought a Victorinox Hiker to have the wood saw option along with my favorite tools like my Tinker.
At a shop I examined some new Victorinox models...all larger ones, black Zytel scales, very solid construction, and precise, strong liner locking mechanism for the main knife blade. They look like an improvement over the large models using the other (button) locking mechanism. I guess one of those might be in my future too. It never ends.
Jim

I just got my first Wenger in the mail today. I ordered up an Esquire through photonlight.com as they have it with a white mini-photon light in it. Very cool. Even has the tweezers. I'll be giving it a workout on the keychain for a while and see how the Wenger stacks up. Saves space from having my Victorinox Rambler and my Mini photon with the keys.

------------------
-Tim-

[This message has been edited by tschlosser (edited 16 October 1999).]

An OFFICER is my daily carry.

I used to carry the Executive, but I've found the scissor, screwdrivers and saw blade on the Officer well worth the extra weight and bulk!
smile.gif

------------------
Plainsman :)
[email protected]

Howard Wallace

I like the tinker. It doesn't have a corkscrew, but you can use the large blade to whittle a branch to the approximate diameter of the cork, then use the branch to push the cork inside the bottle.

Only then you have to drink the whole bottle.
wink.gif

------------------
Howard Wallace
Khukuri FAQ