Favorite Sheath Maker and Mode of Carry

For Kydex, mashed cat or buy brown. I use a teklok and can change carry position pretty easily.

Edit: I'm not sure mashed cat is taking orders right now, the website has nothing on it.

Last edited:
All but one of my sheaths are factory; Buck, Schrade/Old Timer, Western, Mora, and Marbles. Only the Buck nylon sheaths for the 110 and the Marbles nylon sheath for my MR417 (2 blade) folding hunter, have a horizontal carry option.
I'm most comfortable with vertical carry in a leather sheath, if the knife isn't suitable to just drop in the bottom of my pocket.

this one is an easy choice for me - Horsewright Horsewright does some amazing leather work
here is one of his oak carving styles - just amazing work imho
v5YXYNR.jpg

if you want pics and drool ; ) go to this thread
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/whacha-been-up-to.1609622/
(lots of other great leather crafters in that thread)

Last edited:
I ususally buy knives that come with good sheats so I've never needed a maker.

But I like dangler style in leather or kydex on my right side.

For knives I like kydex, but leather sure is purdy and smells good too.;)

Anyone have experience with Armatus or zelweke kydex sheaths?

Al Welke (Azwelke) for kydex, hands down. I’ve tried all the usual suspects and there are no finer kydex sheaths.

For leather it’s hard to beat a Rowe.

As far as carry style I like either high ride right side @ 3 o’clock, or a canted right side reverse draw at 2 o’clock.

Anyone have experience with Armatus or zelweke kydex sheaths?

I have an architect I bought for my Guardian 3. I like it, good retention and is virtually unnoticeable, even with just a T-shirt

• Horsewright Clothing and Tack (Dave Ferry) is my favorite leather-maker by a long shot... I wear his leather every day.
  • I also like D. Puckett leather sheath...have used it with several small fixed blades of 3-3.5 inch blade length.
  • Both guys offer great sheaths for my preferred horizontal carry.

Except for my Bucklight sheath, never used one and never had one made.
Until now.
This sheath was just completed a few days ago to go withe the first knife I made and finished several months ago. That would make the the sheath maker my favorite :)
Can be worn vertical on either side or horizontal, I wore it vertical all day and didn't even notice it was there. Tomorrow I'll try horizontal.

6ZXEKpb.jpg

WkQuAhj.jpg

Last edited:
There are quite a few excellent makers out there! Many are members here, so it's worth a look around the site.

Me personally, I always wanted a sheath by Martin Swinkels aka martinsheaths. The stuff he did with leather and kydex was impressive and all were multi carry possible!! His facebook is still up but he is.MIA.

Kenny Rowe is another. Love the pinlock!!, Andrew Jordan's knives and the sheath he makes to go with are top shelf tooo! Lots to drool over with just those three there!! Have a look!

James

this one is an easy choice for me - Horsewright Horsewright does some amazing leather work
here is one of his oak carving styles - just amazing work imho
v5YXYNR.jpg

if you want pics and drool ; ) go to this thread
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/whacha-been-up-to.1609622/
(lots of other great leather crafters in that thread)

• Horsewright Clothing and Tack (Dave Ferry) is my favorite leather-maker by a long shot... I wear his leather every day.
  • I also like D. Puckett leather sheath...have used it with several small fixed blades of 3-3.5 inch blade length.
  • Both guys offer great sheaths for my preferred horizontal carry.

Thanks for the shout out guys!

I personally prefer horizontal crossdraw carry. So do the vast majority of my customers. I might make 1 vertical sheath to every four to five hundred crossdraws of the various types I offer.

SKQFoxn.jpg

Doing the groundwork at one of our calf brandings. My personal knife is there on my belt. The one in the back pocket is a prototype castration knife that has worked out very well. I have carried horizontal crossdraw for probably 20 years now. It has really worked out well for me. Whether I'm horseback, or working the ground and bending over a lot, or carrying a pistol strong side it really works for me.

Kneeling down to castrate this calf, my horizontal sheath is not in the way:

JB8qPZx.jpg

Or branding. Big Tyler has one too only he's a lefty:

TBhmHq6.jpg

Fixing the ropes on this little guy, not in the way:

yMJFiIj.jpg

Roping, out of the way too:

evXPzlM.jpg

15BXcaP.jpg

Owp9fkE.jpg

And doesn't interfere with the pistola:

7D4K8YY.jpg

Horizontal just really works for me and has for a long time. But Salty, he's got to be contrary, behind the back and upside down:

anLW9ZE.jpg

002.JPG 015.JPG 029.JPG 060.JPG 473.JPG 573.JPG 641.JPG 687.JPG 895.JPG 1136.JPG I like Hale Storm Custom Kydex down in Texas. By appointment only and I hear he dabbles in leather too. :D

Back