Favorite SP knife?

So I picked up an sp1 a while back, and have recently been looking ino other sp knives. I know I want the sp10 but I also want others, just not sure where to start.

What's your favorite sp knife and why? Feel free to list more than one but please tell me which you prefer. Thank you.

I just got a SP50 and SP51. I have not used either yet, but I like the steel, design, and cost. They are both a little large for most tasks but if I had to have one knife on a trip I would feel comfortable having one of them with me. And for the price I can use it hard. If I break either of them I can get another one and not feel bad.

I suppose my response should be to come here and say "BUY EVERYTHING!" And, you know... I encourage you to do so. But there's an SP8 in my trunk right now, and I feel better about these infamous Western New York winters because of it.

After a lot of research and reviews my new SP10 was delivered today. I'd been wanting a traditional looking bowie for some time now. As far as look and feel the knife is very nice and just what I expected. The edge however is very disappointing. The knife was moderately sharp and upon examination I noticed the the grind angle was different on each side of the blade. The right side was perfect but the left side was quite a few degrees different and the grind was not even. So far I've spent about 3 hours trying to fix this but I'm getting tired and will work on it again tomorrow--it's getting there though.
I love the look and feel of this knife but at this point I'm kinda bummed--I guess I expected better quality--Other Ontario knives I own have been great

Thanks for your reply guys, I just purchased an sp10 myself. I'm starting to collect the bigger blades. I'm looking into an sp51 but can't find any reasonable prices for it but hopefully in time. Slowly but surely I hope to get most of the sp line (preferring saber grind to full flat on similar models). Anymore opinions are welcome.

My favorite is the SP43

It's quite lively and fast in the hand for a 8" blade.

I really like my SP10 but the SP43 for me is just about perfect.

I have the SP49. The edge needed work when I got it but once that was fixed & I removed the top guard it was good to go . I think it is a very good all around 8.5" blade.
I will admit. I need to use it more but that's my fault not the knives.:D

Got a SP54 Gen 2. As compact as a dagger with full-sized handle is ever going to get. The perfect back-up defensive blade. Just wish it came with a kydex/molded plastic sheath.

I got an SP-10 its pretty dang useful, the SP-51 also for general purpose field and camp use and general survival and getting the SP-53 to round things out. The SP-51 is been discontinued so I'm glad I got one when I had a chance.

Was going to order another SP-51 as its very dang useful with the level blade... but just had a bad financial crunch...

OK I got it anyways! :D

Last edited:
I have owned a lot of sp series knives... and about a week ago, I would have voted for the underdog... the sp 5 but...
Owning the Sp 5, Sp 10, RtakII, and having owned many others... I have to cheat...

I vote the Ontario Khukuri, hands down! I got one for my father in laws birthday, and the grinds were perfect, the entire edge was RAZOR sharp, and man did it feel lively in the hands!

That being said, even at $53 SHIPPED, I don't think that it will be an underdog when I do a review of it against the Becker bk4, bk21, kabar khukuri, maybe a cold steel, and the original, a Nepalese khukuri.

Can't wait! My video editing software will be in shortly!

I have at least six SP knives, and I'm torn between the SP19 and SP25 (both discontinued) when naming a favorite. I guess it'd be the SP25 because it improves on the AFSK design where it was lacking in my opinion (handle material) without sacrificing anything I liked.

The sp8 is such a great (and often misunderstood) tool. Be nice to see someone do a Youtube vid on constructing a small log cabin with an SP8 and a large Silky sometime - and use the opportunity to demonstrate the purpose of the notching tool with the chisel (and the difference between it and a saw). A short Batoning session for icing... Two simple tools... Hearth and Home.

SP-51. Good stout multi propose straight saber grind.

SP-10 another good multi purpose use blade.

SP-53 good all purpose chopper and lopper.

I'd hate to be without an sp46 or sp49. Love them both.

Nutinfancy turned me on to the sp46. His vids say it all. Great light all round camp/hike knife.

Landed on the Sp49 because it did all that the sp51 did for me at a lighter weight. It equals many 1/4" thick blades I have used at a much lighter weight. It's as tough as they come too.

Last edited:
I just ordered my first "large" knife. I went with the The SP5. My hands on experience with the line is nil to date. That said: I have accumulated about a week's worth of internet research and you tube video watching so I am now a self-proclaimed "expert" on the SP line of knives. [yes, I am kidding].

While the SP 10 seems to be the sweetheart of the line, it seems like that is primarily due to it's chopping / baton'ing / and classic Bowie style (all good stuff). I rarely chop or baton when in the woods. The SP5's weight and nimbleness while still retaining the ability to chop and baton was a very attractive combo for me.

Steve,

Glad to hear you've joined the ranks of the Spec Plus owners. That's a good choice for a big knife, I'd say the SP5 is more versatile than the SP10.

Holy cow. What s hunk of steel! Arrived yesterday. I'll post a detailed review once I spend some time with it. Its' everything I was looking for in terms of it being a large, sturdy, diverse blade. I honestly don't know what the heck I'm going to do with it since I rarely baton or chop... But someone pointed out that once you get a blade that is capable of those things, folks often find themselves doing it more often and I can totally see that being me ;-)

Only negative comment was the knife arrived super dull. Hard to even tear thicker printer paper and it wouldn't touch phone book paper. It's not a huge deal. I sort of expected a larger blade like that would be a pain to put a shaving sharp factory edge on. I need to get better at sharpening anyway so I don't mind working on it. I only have a sharpmaker and a cheaper DMT fine stone, so it'll take a few more sittings, but it's getting there.

Last edited:
Back