Featherlite Survival Knife ?

hey Pit, love the idea, the only issue I see is the sharp corners in the handle where the firesteel nests, if mark contours them a little bit, id put myself on the list for one, but only if Mark names it the pitdog special (or something better/more creative). If this model has micarta, maybe it can stick out past the steel (on the edge side...where you want it) enough for a small firesteel to snap into. You might want to check out the breeden sparky, he welded a hollow tube in the handle, under the handle slabs, that has a screw on cap for holding a firesteel and tinder. just my .02 (but i still love the idea)

2011-04-18_20-03-31_994.jpg

Working on this. Top is my old psk.....

Whats the Specs on these 2 ? If you could make the end of the handle on the top (PSK) like the bottom one...Hmmm ? That would look sweet ! I like both designs, Love the looks of the handle on the new model but I also like all that blade on the top model ! Match it up with a Kydex neck/pocket sheath ! :thumbup:

Dang, they both look cool....not sure which I prefer, like Coaldigger said the bottom one looks awesome especially the handle, but I'm edging toward the blade profile of the top one !

2011-04-20_12-02-18_519.jpg

Here is the result so far. I have an idea about attaching the fire steel and I tweaked the design this morning. Lengthened the handle .5 inches to accommodate the firesteel.

Soo..TonyM.......are you saying you have a purse on your belt?
Pit,
They have small ultra light knives already available...they are called Mora's. Its all you need Bro!

I like the idea of this. It would be great as something that stayed in the pack so you always have a sharp and stout knife on hand. Something like the small tin knives, but larger and more useable.

I really like the look of those knives, Mark. Interested in seeing what you have in mind for attaching the firesteel.

John

The biggest problem I have is the firesteels I am using. They are. 250 around and 3 inches long. That pushes the length of the handle up to make room for the slot. Unless I cut the fire steel down.

Soo..TonyM.......are you saying you have a purse on your belt?
Pit,
They have small ultra light knives already available...they are called Mora's. Its all you need Bro!

Mora's are awesome knives, no question, but that is not the concept I am talking about here. A simple lightweight package consisting of a knife, fire starter and fail proof kindling all in one small bundle as a last ditch back up you can always have with you.

The biggest problem I have is the firesteels I am using. They are. 250 around and 3 inches long. That pushes the length of the handle up to make room for the slot. Unless I cut the fire steel down.

What are the present specs of them Mark ? I don't think they have to be super short, they just have to be thin and bare bones.

Back