Feedback on Outdoor Startup

Hey there,

I'm new to the forum and seeking some advice and opinions from active Wilderness Survival folks. Recently we launched Gear Easy an outdoor activity marketplace. Originally, we intended it to be a place for casual part-time outdoor guides to offer their services. However, recently we have had some inquiries about offering wilderness courses as well. In fact, we have a few people already posting some courses on their own. We are basically an "Uber" for outdoor activities. Anyone can post an activity on our marketplace and charge for their outdoor skills and services.

We are really excited about our mission as a company. However, it seems like certification criteria for wilderness survival are all over the map with various training available. While we are avid outdoors people, I'm really looking for some feedback from people with more background and experience. Is offering Wilderness Survival skills an opportunity?

Any advice would be helpful. Also, general feedback on the our business concept at www.geareasy.com is also welcome.

Thanks!

CL

Just a couple fast thoughts from a services side/bladeforums side. You will want to look through the Paid Subscriptions, tab to see which applies to you, if you are unsure, just email Spark and he'll let you know. In general service providers/advertisers do pay to support BF and I think most find it worth while.

Had a fast look at the TOS, didn't see anything about liability for injury, or requirements for insurance by providers, that is likely something you need, but might also have a state-by-state regulation component. If I missed it, might want to ensure its clearly stated.

As far as "survival" I don't know of any government level certification of training. However there may be some cross-over to other activities that do. For example here in Australia I can get certification to teach rock climbing, I would also need insurance, and have either a business or organization that had all the appropriate legal and risk management documentation. I don't know what the requirements for that would be in the US, or even if by advertising for someone you are taking on any liability.
The only thing that really has a lot of regulation, no matter where you are is first aid training, which could be something that interests your customers.

As far as the overall as an idea for scheduling training, I could see it having a benefit, especially for someone setting up a local class with a known expert, it could get them more exposure that they might not otherwise get. Survival training is a broad and deep category, and I wouldn't broach it without really having time to look into it yourself, and see what you can handle from both a liability and legal standpoint, but something like first-aid, or intro to sport classes would be a much easier entrypoint.
Keep in mind that by advertising, you are putting your name along side of the instructor, and thus, if they are not up to scratch, you will get tarred with the same brush.

I only looked at a couple, and it looks like you have a range from real pros to "I like the outdoors". That could be good, but again, I'd be cautious about people operating with no liability insurance. Also training is a bit of a loaded word, the one guy was making it seem like he could teach someone enough to survive winter conditions in just one day. Maybe he can, but then he should charge more. Training comes with a level of exception if its not clarified. Not sure how much you want to be regulating your clients though.

For background I work for an organization that runs activities from high-ropes to canoeing to camping for schools, both on our center and off. I've been doing this in various capacities for a little over a decade. In my mind there is a big difference between a guiding activity and a training activity. I generally guide, we are simply out for the experience. Training means I'm giving the person enough knowledge to go do that on their own. That's not a legal definition, but one that might be useful to you as you look at the differences between providers.

Thanks Gadgetgeek! All great thoughts, really helpful. Yes, we are working with an insurance company now to provide $500K of Hospital and Evacuation coverage, but its not complete yet.

Back