• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Feel of G-10 vs Micarta...

Dunner

I just wondered what everyone's impressions are on the G10 now that you have had the chance to swing your FBM's. I know you at least had to cut the air with that thing a few times so what do you think?! How about those who have done some chopping?

I was debating on pulling the trigger one more time to get some of that black G10 and could use some help. There isn't much time :eek:

I don't know about the g-10 on the FBM, but the g-10 I have on the custom SFNO feels awesome. But I prefer the micarta. I'm not sure why I prefer it more then the g-10:o

For a chopper where you are going to get some swing velocity going, I would go with the micarta. If you were going to do a lot of chopping, I would think you would want to use a glove and at that point, I wouldn't worry about abrasion.

I got magnum scales on the Heavy Heart and ended up sanding them down.

Accidentally got mags on the FSH, but in G-10...............I like it ! Smoother finish apparently makes the difference. Chops great, altho I probably held it too far back.

I got magnum scales on the Heavy Heart and ended up sanding them down.

Accidentally got mags on the FSH, but in G-10...............I like it ! Smoother finish apparently makes the difference. Chops great, altho I probably held it too far back.

I really like the smoother handles myself

bouncy.gif

And I like the rougher micarta handles better.

At a guess, decades in the lab have probably roughened my hands so much that micarta grips just don't bother me. And I appreciate the more secure grip when swinging a chopper.

It's all just aesthetics. But I'm glad we have a choice!

I chose the Black G-10 Magnum on my FBM and am very pleased with it.
I know that some say that G-10 is 'harder' to the feel than Micarta but I don't see it. Seems the same to me.
With the palm hump on the magnums, the handle has no movement when chopping.
I did take a scotch pad and smooth off the sharp edges a little, and with a lot of chopping so far,
have no blisters or hot spots on my hand, again, it's because the palm hump does not let my hand slide around.
Without the palm hump, the G-10 might be a little more slippery than canvas micarta.
I like the solid color look on the Black G-10 and they seem to absorb less moisture than Micarta.
Well satisfied with G-10 mags on the FBM:thumbup:

Even smoothed and coated, I find Micarta grippier without being harsh like sharp G10.

Plus it looks more. . . natural. G10 always looks like a big hunk of plastic.

I purchased a Mag Micarta and a Mag G-10 handled FBM to compare them myself. After handling each for a few minutes I had a clear preference for the micarta handle so it's the one I put to work. As others have said it has superior tactile qualities (in my opinion). The G-10 feels harder, it does not seem to have the inherent texture the micarta has.

Also, the micarta handles are a bit larger than the G-10 which felt better in my hand. This could be unique to the knives I received, but it's worth mentioning.

With that said I'd have been perfectly happy with G-10 had I not had both materials to compare. It's also possible that my opinion will change if both are compared in use, but I doubt it.

I thought that the G-10 looked beautiful, like a custom job. It felt harder and smoother. But I thought the grip might be more secure under unfavorable conditions with the micarta as it seems to have a slightly rougher, or aggressive, surface texture.

Back