Fehrman Thru Hiker Mini Review

Got it today and...well... :D

it's a bit bigger than i thought. i was expecting an almost anemic knife but it's one serious piece of steel. it looks smaller in pictures but is quite the knife. the knife is about 8" OAL and about 1/8" thick. it's also quite heavy being a slab of CPM-3V and all. it's also much thinner than i imagined.

the handles are skeletonized and fit my smallish hands well. the guard is prominent and will serve my finers well in hard stab situations. the choil is also large and very useable. foward grip is nice as is reverse grip. pakal grip is not very comfy due to the curved butt of the handle. sabre grip is nice due to the small thumb ramp. of note is that the ridges on the ramp are very small and smooth. they serve almost no purpose IMO.

the blade is shaving sharp. no, make that SCARY sharp. the black crinkle coating provides a nice texture on the whole knife. there were no spots or blemishes in the coating. all edges are rounded and the blade grinds are PERFECT.

the sheath is of the kydex persuasion with ball chain for neck carry. it is held secure and the sheath itself is not very large. there are 2 holes on top for the ball chain and 3 holes on either side (2 near the tip of the sheath, 1 towards the base). the kydex is thin and with the knife in it, the whole package disappears. the only indication of the knife is it's weight and the intractable smile it brings you :D

all in all, a GREAT value. comfy, F&F perfect, quick turn around time (2 weeks for this one), and great materials. it's small enough, yet big enough for 'most anything you can throw at it. get yours today!!!

Nice review!

Lucky that you got it when you did. They say on the site that they prefer to not take orders till 2005.
BUSY!
:)
Tom

:D I just made the cut! but now the extreme judgment has to wait a bit longer :(

I ordered the hiker once they put up the pic on their site. you can't get a better deal IMO. 3V is amazing stuff and in a nice necker? I had to get it!

I've not seen a Fehrman...yet... :)

I run the ball chain thru a length of paracord sheath that I've removed the strands from and it keeps the cold metal off my kneck and makes for better blending in. :)
I't also quieter.
Tom

I have had the "Thru Hiker" and "Peace Maker" come through the shop. Though I didn't get to use them, they were fine looking knives in a serious steel. Excellent quality. I think you will be happy with your new knife. :)

Danny,

41618c80.jpg

choubbi

BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!
it sounds even better than what I expected

do you know if Mr Fehrman ships his knives to France? I sent him an e-mail to ask him this question(2 weeks ago), but he hasn't answered yet.

I really would like to have one when I get the money for (not before Xmas)...

Hey Guys,
Eric is truly buried in work! A quick note on the "Thru Hiker", it's actually a full 3/16" thick. Eric has shipped knives all over the world, one country wouldn't release one of our "Extreme Judgement" blades from Customs until it's new owner dulled the blade! That was both a heart break and commical for him, Customs said it was the sharpest they'd seen.

Jay

John 14:6

I'll vouch for the sharpness. I have Peacemaker and a Shadow Scout and they came scary sharp, even dare I say "Dozier" sharp!

buttonpusher said:
Hey Guys,
Eric is truly buried in work! A quick note on the "Thru Hiker", it's actually a full 3/16" thick. Eric has shipped knives all over the world, one country wouldn't release one of our "Extreme Judgement" blades from Customs until it's new owner dulled the blade! That was both a heart break and commical for him, Customs said it was the sharpest they'd seen.

Jay

John 14:6

Yes, my mistake. i guessed 1/8" by eye only. the actual specs are on the main site: www.fehrmanknives.com

3" blade, 0.19" thick, 1.25" wide blade. OAL is 7.5" some serious beef there