1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFGs and the Tormek

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by HowAmI, Dec 27, 2017.

1. HowAmI

HowAmI

Aug 5, 2016
    I got a question for you Tormek owners... Is there any sort of compensation the clamp has for sharpening Full Flat Grinds? I have a few Spyderco Manix 2s I need to sharpen up so I can sell them, but would like to know about the Tormek clamp and it's compatibility with Full Flat Grinds before I spend a bit of money on a new system.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    If you go the Tormek route you could also consider making one of these tool/knife rests instead of using the Tormek clamp.
    Here is a clip where the inventor showcases how it works:

[email protected] likes this.
  3. cbwx34

cbwx34 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 27, 2004
    I think the Tormek clamp is worse than the KME clamp (you just sold) for this particular application. :eek: But like any other clamp, you can tape or otherwise shim the blade to make it work. The clamp itself has no “compensation” for FFG blades.

4. HowAmI

HowAmI

Aug 5, 2016
    Thanks. Wasn't a fan of the KME clamp as it work about the same as the Lansky when it came to FFGs.

5. HowAmI

HowAmI

Aug 5, 2016
    Thanks. Could probably make one of those if I wanted to.

6. cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    Then I doubt you’ll like the Tormek clamp... ;)

7. cap'njake

cap'njake

Aug 15, 2016
    I don't have a tormek yet. Plan on getting the T8 within the next couple months. But I would say freehand it. I got the chance to see and use the grizzly knockoff and I think that is how I will sharpen knives on the tormek. Save the clamps for everything else the tormek is good for.

8. ricko54

ricko54

Oct 30, 2018
    I'm really impressed with this knife rest. So much so, that I'm willing to order the scissor jig ahead of the T8 unit just so I can have this knife jig ready. The only question I have is in regards to the length of the steel sheet screwed to the scissor jig and it's thickness. By the looks if it, perhaps a 8 gauge piece of mild sheet steel would work. If anyone has made this knife jig and can answer my questions, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

9. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 5:23 PM
  10. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Working freehand at a roughly 45° slant to the wheel works quite nicely. You just sort of roll the blade on the wheel to change where the contact point is and/or draw the blade back along the top of the wheel. Freehanding on a wheel can require a bit of mental gymnastics at first, but can produce some very nice results once you get used to it.

11. ricko54

ricko54

Oct 30, 2018
    kwackster, I tried to get into the tormek forum to check the link you listed, but unfortunately I haven't received admin approval on my joining. How does your jig work in comparison to the one in the video? Yours looks a little more involved to fabricate, but if you're offering them at a reasonable price, well then, that might work also. The principle behind yours seems to appear to be the same. Do you have a vid of yours in operation on YouTube?

12. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    Admin approval on the Tormek forum can take a while, but it is worth it if you're planning to invest in one of their machines.
    Although i've never directly compared my jig with Herman's original i think that mine offers more working room, both for knife handles as well as for my hands to manipulate them.
    With this jig i've already sharpened from the smallest blade in my old Victorinox SwissChamp up to a Tojiro DP 240mm gyuoto.

I'm afraid that anyone who wants to own a similar jig has to fabricate it himself, as Tormek seems to have no plans to make them available to the public, and i'm also not going to make any for others.
    There is however a bit more to these jigs than meets the eye at first glance, and i'm also still in the process of refining mine.

This Spyderco Resilience from a customer is almost done.
    There is still a bit of burring at the heel, which is also the tricky part to sharpen on this model with the small platform jig, because of the non-existing ricasso at that point in combination with the slightly protruding handle.
    I had to use the edge of the stone (an SB-250 Blackstone) to get there at all, and as you can see it's not visually perfect.
    The new edge is keen enough to whittle one of my chest hairs from root-to-tip at 3 centimeters from the point of holding.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 8:48 AM
  13. ricko54

ricko54

Oct 30, 2018
    Thank you for your comments kwackster. This then brings me back to my original question regarding the modification to the Tormek scissor base with the addition of the steel. Can anyone who has adapted this design alteration offer a suggested length, and have you found that length to be critical? Thank you!

14. cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    I made one... I don't think the length is super critical... I matched mine to be approx. the same length as where the Tormek jig would be (here's a comparison shot)...

[​IMG]

... which turns out for my setup to be 4 3/4" (total length). (Personally, you might want to order the parts, but wait to put it together, to see what's comfortable for you... not that it would take much to change should you decide to).

I do know if it's too short, (and is higher on the wheel), water tends to build up more on the knife and can make more of a mess. Too long, and you probably can't see what you're doing very well. (Why I chose just to match the approx. length of the Tormek Jig... but even that can be adjusted a bit). Anyway, that's the length of the one I made.

bucketstove likes this.