FG, TGULB, or Mega Ratweiler?!

We are in a time of fantastic options, and it's making it all the harder to choose one. For those fortunate hogs who've handled one or more of these, which would you choose provided you could only have one? Thanks in advance everybody!!

It really depends on what that one knife is for! I don't have the FG, but have a few TGULBs, and I love it. For general use, TGULBs for sure over the mega Ratweiler. The Mega Rat is a beast. Cool beast! But I wouldn't want to carry the weight all the time. However, if I we're splitting coconuts, making Pina coladas all day for a living, it'll beat the TGULB hands down. The Mega Ratweiler blade design will split like it's nobody's business.

They're both tougher than nails, so I'm not worried. SR-101 and INFI are both great steels to have!

For background, I have a BG ASH1, and love the toughness of it, but I did extensive thinning and stripping to make it function as more of a knife than a sharpened prybar. So I guess my want is for the same jack of all trades size, but with better cutting geometry. That's why the mega catches my eye because of the hollow grind. Not being able to handle and cut with any of them makes it hard to compare.

Ok... apparently too much bourbon celebrating my order of a LE HR2 last night.... I'm totally drawing a blank on "FG."

Of the two that my muddled brain can comprehend, I would say the TGULB. Mine came sharper than anything I've gotten from Busse in a long time. And with the very shallow hollow grind, the TGULB is very slicy. Light to carry. Just an all-around fantastic knife. I had always regretted not getting a TGLB.... until I got a TGULB.

Ok... apparently too much bourbon celebrating my order of a LE HR2 last night.... I'm totally drawing a blank on "FG."

Of the two that my muddled brain can comprehend, I would say the TGULB. Mine came sharper than anything I've gotten from Busse in a long time. And with the very shallow hollow grind, the TGULB is very slicy. Light to carry. Just an all-around fantastic knife. I had always regretted not getting a TGLB.... until I got a TGULB.

Forsaken Gemini ?

AH HAH!
If that is the case.... I still say the TGULB, if you're going to be carrying it much and you want it to be slicy. I have the Forsaken Gemini as well. Love it. It is a right fine beast of a knife. But it is a beast. Heavy. Would be a great combat blade, I think. Meaning you could just about dismantle a tank with it, and still stab bad guys in the face. I would have no qualms about batonning any of them through the toughest of wood. Even though I don't own a MEGA Ratweiler. I do have 3 Ratweilers. All fantastic beasts as well. But the grip doesn't work for me as well as the Gemini series. If I am choking up on a Ratweiler to do fine work, the point of the grip that defines the index finger position falls right in the middle of my middle finger. It does fine as a chopper, even the skinny Ratweiler. But for slicing, my hands don't fit it well.

I was right there with you and I thought I knew them all.

For TG is what I call it ;)
40G

Forsaken Gemini ?

And my choice would be the For TG.
I really like the swedge toward the tip and the CBT is just cool.
The rounded pommel and guards are really nice.
and just a bit larger than the regular TG , I really like the For TG

rLeFDFJ.jpg

FGbzCbL.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, on any given day, depending on what I've been doing, my preference could probably go either way.

I will hands down go with the TGULB but I'm also more a fan of the thinner steel Busse's in that size range. The TGULB is my favorite Busse and the Infiweiler is my favorite Busse kin, both right in the 3/16"-0.2" thickness region, similar blade lengths and weight.

I think any of the three are going to be great options and I can't imagine anyone being that unhappy with any, just more happy with something a little different and probably happiest with all three if you have a pile of cash you don't want to see anymore.

I do think the ratweiler handle handles the weight better so the fatweiler would be my choice over the forsaken gemini if I plan to do a lot of chopping but the forsaken gemini probably wins in the looks department... I should probably get one of those too...

Z2TMG14l.jpg

Seems like the TGULB has the most votes so far. Honestly I've never owned any infi, nor anything with the meltdown treatment so it is an attractive option. I just figured with the second quillon on the back, it would negatively affect it's usability as a knife for, well, knife tasks and the mega would be nicer to choke up on. Very interesting, thank you to anyone who's given me any insight. It figures you guys would steer me towards the most expensive option!!

I’d like to propose a fourth option. Alpha Regulator 9.5!!!,

Comfier handle vs mega rat and tglub IMO
THICK just like the mega rat but lighter
Also... INFI!!!
Out of the two options though, I’d have to go with the tgulb because of the weight, although a AR 9.5 would bridge the gap between the two I think.

Happy hunting!

I would say TGULB, that knife is super balanced and lively in hand. If you plan to get a lil more choppy I would say the mega ratweiler. I would also consider the thinner Ratweiler too, about half the price and SR101 is no slouch :p.

Back