fiberglass hardener ?

In making homemade micarta,with the heat we have here in the south,will i be ok to decrease my amount of hardener?And can i decrease it to much,and will it get as hard as it should?Most proberly know the problem i'm having is it cures to quick.Will i have to wait for cooler weather?Thanks for any help.

Keith Willis

are you using fiberglass resin or epoxy resin?.....with fiberglass resin you adjust the hardener according to ambient temperature

I wouldnt decrease anything. I have done plenty of mold making and fibeglass work and even here in the south.....I have has the case of sticky resin:thumbdn: Do they make a slow setting version?

Check with the supplier of your epoxy and get a slower harder for use in the hot climate.

Hey...since I'm sure you guys will know.....what is used to color epoxy while mixing it. I saw it done in the Russian video in a thread a couple days ago but my Russian is rusty!
Thanks, Brad.

By the way, the thread is "100 mins. of knife making video" by Rashid11.....I thought it was very good!

If the resin is setting up to quick you are most likely using to much hardener. I have had that problem before I got my measuring cup to know how many drops to put in it. If you dont put enough in you will end up with soft pocket ( also done this)
Hope this helps
Eric Knight

Hey...since I'm sure you guys will know.....what is used to color epoxy while mixing it. I saw it done in the Russian video in a thread a couple days ago but my Russian is rusty!
Thanks, Brad.

By the way, the thread is "100 mins. of knife making video" by Rashid11.....I thought it was very good!

Leather dye works pretty good.

Kieth,
If you are using fiberglass resin, I won't mess with that stuff so I am not sure...

If you are using a true epoxy resin, you cannot alter the proportions of the mix, a different hardener must be used.

BV--I use tints from my epoxy supplier to color my stuff. It generally works well as long as I keep within the dosing guidelines.

Many thanks guys,i'm using fiberglass resin,seems to work well for me.Any more opinions are welcome.

Thanks to all,Keith Willis

Measure the resin you use each time so you know proportionately how much resin you should be using (ie: 10 oz resin & 20 drops of hardner or 5 oz. resin & 10 drops hardner). Cut the hardener back a few drops at a time until you get the work time you need. You can only cut it back so far then you will have issues with soft spots or a gummy surface. Be sure to mix the hardener into the resin well. The amount of hardener used is very dependant on temperature so if it gets cooler out you will have to add a few drops to keep it working properly. If its cool out, once you get the micarta layed out the way you want and soaked in resin, you can accelerate the hardening time by warming the micarta with indirect heat such as a 500 watt work light or a micro heater. Just be careful not to get it too close.

A fiberglass tip of the day: Never put the little bottle of liquid hardener in your back pocket so you don't have to look all over for it... if you end up forgetting about it and sit down it will burn the bejebuz out of your butt.... not that its ever happened to me :eek:

Brad
www.AndersonKnives.ca

Yep, the hardener will burn you, and if you get the polyester resin hardener in your eye, your eye is gone.
Epoxy is the way to go, as you can get long working times, plus you can get it without the wax in it.
Get one that doesn't blush, and doesn't shrink when curing.

True epoxy is the best way to go. One of the best supplier for it is West Systems. They have different hardners too. Each is made to be a little slower so you can use it is warmer climates easier. This is the same epoxy that allot of people use on their boats to. Good luck.

I wouldnt decrease anything. I have done plenty of mold making and fibeglass work and even here in the south.....I have has the case of sticky resin:thumbdn: Do they make a slow setting version?

Styrene wax mixed into your final layer or spraying with pva can help cut down on the slow cure sticky mess, especially in humid weather. Alot like painting or waxing the cut ends of wood set out to cure.

Back