Fiddleback Arete - Convex and Scandi - Review.

Diomedes Industries

Gold Member
Basic Member
Fiddleback Arete - Scandi and Convex Review:

FiddlebackArete010.jpg

ConvexAreteSheath005.jpg

Specs - Scandi:

Overall Length: 8.405
Blade Length: 3.934
Edge Length: 3.867
Handle Length: 4.471
Steel Type: 01 - as forged flats.
Blade Thickness: 0.125
Blade Height 1.100
Grind Height: 0.306
Handle Thickness at Ricasso: 0.762
Handle Thickness at Palm Swell: 0.957
Handle Thickness at Butt: 1.013

Specs - Convex:

Overall Length: 8.405
Blade Length: 3.936
Edge Length: 3.775
Handle Length: 4.509
Steel Type: 01 - Proprietary "3d Spalting".
Blade Thickness: 0.125
Blade Height 1.051
Grind Height: 0.716
Handle Thickness at Ricasso: 0.764
Handle Thickness at Palm Swell: 0.855
Handle Thickness at Butt: 0.875

Disclaimer:

I designed this knife, with the help and input of others, on the Fiddleback Forum board. If you want to see the entire process, from begining to end - check it out here.

The short of it, though, is that I drew up this knife:

Arete0002.jpg

Andy Roy of Fiddleback Forge (he has a subforum here) made it happen. He sent me a prototype and we made changes - and then it was a done deal. This knife became part of Andy's lineup quickly there after - and a few of them have been seen in the wild.

Packaging:

Andy always ships his knives in USPS Priority boxes wrapped in very thick brown paper folded and rolled well to protect the knife - The blade being protected with folded cardboard. He ties the package with jute twine and sticks one of his business cards under the twine. The presentation is very simple - but one of those touches you tend to remember. Usually there is a little swag in the box too - a Fiddleback Can holder - or some other little promotional item he has.

Fit and Finish:

There is a bit of a difference between Andy's first Arete (the one I own - besides the prototype) and the convex Arete that I recieved from him about a year and 1/2 later. Andy has always been a wiz with his handles. He combines woods - combines woods with man made materials - and combines man made materials - all to great effect. The original Arete came with stainless pins - the Arete's made now use Micarta or Mosaic pins in the handles. Both leave a distinctly different look - but both look awesome.

FiddlebackArete011.jpg

My Scandi is a black linered, bulrap micarta base with Osage orange on top. My Scandi has a 1/8th inch black canvas micarta base with the front inch and a half (near the ricossa) in black canvas micarta with the rest being natural canvas micarta. It has 5 micarta pins put in the handle for a very subtle yet dramatic effect.

FiddlebackArete003.jpg

FiddlebackAreteConvex002.jpg

Both blades have Andy's signature bulls eye lanyard tube in the butt that is comprised of two stainless tubes and one micarta tube sandwiched together.

The fit and finish on Andy's handles are exquisite. The wood never has any burn marks around the pins and the pins are never proud of the wood. The wood comes highly sanded and finished. I never has any issue or qualms about his handles they are perfectly done in my opinion.

In terms of the blade, Andy's plunge lines have always been good - but lately - he has become robotic. My convex edge looking down the blade edge looks identical on both sides. Andy has always used a jig with his scandi edges and I think it is a little easier to make the plunge lines and grind lines even - with a free hand convex - you have to have a steady hand and a lot of experience to make the edges look as clean as these do on my knives.

FiddlebackArete006.jpg

Fiddleback Scandi Arete next to a Dan Koster Bushcrafter in CPM 154.

I have two wishes for Andy's future work: 1) Take the grind to a higher grit and get rid of some of the deeper grind marks left in the steel. This has gotten better of the years - but I still wish for a more matte finish on my blades from the maker rather than needing to take these out by hand. 2) Do a full convex edge. Andy tends to do a convex blade and then put a secondary micro bevel on the blade to sharpen it. Especially when dealing with a convex blade - I want a full convex blade and edge - so when I get one of Andy's knifes - I have to take out the stones and set my edge back to fully convex and then bring the finish to my liking. This can take a few hours to get totally right (have I mentioned I am anal?) and I enjoy doing it in the long run - but when buying a custom knife - ir should come very well finished. This is not to say Andy;s work is rough by any means -just my opinion on what could be improved.

Original Sharpening:

Andy used 01 on both of these knives and his heat treat is right on. I have owned my Scandi for over two years and done my best to to punish it - without so much as a chip or a rolled edge. Generally a quick push on the 4000 grit Japanese stone and a stropping after a long weekend is all that is needed.

However, as mentioned above - the grind was a little low grit for my tastes - so I brought out the freshly lapped Japanese water stones and set to work. In a short amount of time I progressed through the 800, 1200, and 4000 stones and was on to the strop. The 01 is a joy to sharpen and takes and holds and edge with ease.

FiddlebackArete010.jpg

When I received my convex arete I set to work with a JRE strop bat covered with 600, 800, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpapers as I set my initial edge. I took out the micro bevel and set the knife to a full convex. Then using small peices of sandpapers I polished the full blade to a high shine. Again, this process doesn't take me too long and once it is done - I merely need to sharpen the knives to keep them "my way". I like this process as it sort of makes the knife 'mine'.

ConvexAreteSheath006.jpg

Blade Design and Geometry:

When I designed the blade for the Arete, I wanted a leaf blade design so that I could easily choke up on the knife when doing fine work - and a spear point for drilling and fine work. I wanted a minimal guard that would allow me to know how I was holding the knife in low light conditions but didn't hinder me from handling the blade as well. Andy delivered all of this and the knife is exactly to specs as designed.

FiddlebackArete011.jpg

The Scandi Arete - is a spear point, leaf blade, scandi grind. There isn't much to say here. Andy set a great original bevel and I have done nothing to change that bevel. The spine of the knife comes very square to strike a firesteel.

KoyoteKnife006.jpg

Fiddleback Scandi next to a Koyote Scandivex

The Convex convex - is a spear point, leaf blade - sabre ground convex blade with the grind starting about 3/4's of the way up the blade. This spine is very square as well.

ConvexAreteSheath006.jpg

One thing should be mentioned about the finish on the Convex version. This finish Andy calls '3d Spalting'. Andy does stock removal for his blades and does not forge his own steel - so if you look at the finish on the Scandi - it is 'as forged'. Andy has started adding this spalting to his work. It makes for a very cool effect and almost looks hand forged. The spalting is deep and will not simply wear off like a patina. You have the choice when buying his work to get this spalting or not - but I really like the 'as forged look' or the '3D spalted' look - and it adds a layer of protection to the blade. This part is corrosion resistant and I don't have to worry so much about wiping down the blade perfectly when storing.

Balance

The balance on both knives are slightly behind where the first finger would rest and I find it to be a well balanced knife - not butt or tip heavy.

FiddlebackArete007.jpg

Handle Design:

When I designed the handle for the Arete I wanted a mildly contoured handle with a fat butt (to help in slippery conditions) and a tapered handle near the Ricossa that allowed for choking up. I had a lot of help from TonyM and others on the Fiddleback boards to get my handle just right - and I was very pleased with the result. Andy didn't have as small enough wheel at the time to get the handle exactly to spec - but I am very happy with what I have in my hands. I think it was a matter of what I envisioned would not have been as good in reality.

FiddlebackArete008.jpg

Sheaths:

I made my own sheaths for these knives. 8-10 ounce leather from Wickett and Craig. 3/8th inch welt, double stitched, belt loop and removable Dangler.

ConvexAreteSheath001.jpg

ConvexAreteSheath007-1.jpg

ConvexAreteSheath003.jpg

AreteSheath001.jpg

Overall Feelings:

This is nearly cheating. I designed the knife to fit my hands, picked an awesome maker to do the knife and had a lot of help from good people along the way. Of course I love the knives. But - I will say - when others have used them - they found the design, fit and finsih, blade geometry, and execution to be great as well. There are many other Arete's out there - and many favorable reviews - but I am very proud to rarely see one come up for sale on this board. ;)

TF

Superb review TF. Thank you for your insight and the pictures too! With such detail, I know it took you a while to put this together for us.

Mark

Thanks for putting together such a comprehensive review TF; your attention to detail is great and yet there's nothing in that review that we didn't "need to know." All and all very informative and well written.

Kudos for your hard work! It's much appreciated :) BTW those are both really great looking knives, I'd be happy to own either. The convex is especially appealing to me. Oh yes, and those are some great sheaths you've made as well (of course).

I don't want to try to derail this thread too far but I really wanted to comment on what you've said about Andy's grind and blade finish: I would also like to see something a little more "polished" coming off of the workbench. Well, like yourself I'm actually a little torn on this subject. I'd like to see it happen but at the same time part of me actually prefers getting the knife a little "rough" and then brining it up to the level of finish that I desire: like you said it sort of makes the knife "yours." I enjoy spending the time working on my knives, giving them that personal touch, and I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones who can find some joy in our sharpening time at the workbench.

Also, I think I do understand why Andy puts a secondary bevel on his convex blades; I'm sure many people want that bevel and it's a heck of a lot harder to put one on than grind one out IME. I'm glad to see another guy on these forums who is chasing that "full convex dream" however. I'm personally really torn on whether I want to leave the secondary bevel on my recently acquired Bushfinger or whether I want to make the edge "full convex"; normally it wouldn't be a question for me (full convex all the way!) but I'm hesitant to do that much work to a knife this nice...very scared of messing it up! Thanks for your inspiration though: knowing there are other guys out there grinding out that secondary bevel might just be the confidence booster I need ;)

Thanks again for an outstanding review.

Pveiled,

For the money - I think this is the ONE area I would like to see Andy make some changes. End on a higher grit or more worn belt and I think his knives would be better off for those that do not know how to take these lines out on their own.

In terms of sharpening and setting the first bevel - Honestly - I take out that secondary bevel with my Japanese water stones. :eek:

I have worked with them so long now that a simple rocking motion as I am working does it for me.

If I were you - I would start with stiff leather backing and put down some 600 grit wet dry. Do the full length of the grind and try to rock the knife slightly as you work. You want to smooth the shoulder left by the micro bevel and move it into a full convex bevel. Rock the knife until you feel it 'grab' - you will know what I mean - you have hit the edge at this point.

I push and pull my blades back and forth - using my eyes and fingers until I can sight down the blade and see the kind of convex I am looking for. You can also use this time to get rid of any grind lines you don't want. Once you have that - move up in grit until you get to 2000. Then use worn 2000. Then go to a loaded strop an strop the entire length of the grind. Make sure you are not raising up the knife too much and creating a very steep convex edge. You want the convex grind to to move from spine to edge in a fluid manner. Go through your compounds and end on bare leather.

Take your time - you really can't screw it up if you take your time - especially if you have a convex knife that you like the edge on. See what was done there - and try to mimic it.

TF

Pveiled,

For the money - I think this is the ONE area I would like to see Andy make some changes. End on a higher grit or more worn belt and I think his knives would be better off for those that do not know how to take these lines out on their own.

In terms of sharpening and setting the first bevel - Honestly - I take out that secondary bevel with my Japanese water stones. :eek:

I have worked with them so long now that a simple rocking motion as I am working does it for me.

If I were you - I would start with stiff leather backing and put down some 600 grit wet dry. Do the full length of the grind and try to rock the knife slightly as you work. You want to smooth the shoulder left by the micro bevel and move it into a full convex bevel. Rock the knife until you feel it 'grab' - you will know what I mean - you have hit the edge at this point.

I push and pull my blades back and forth - using my eyes and fingers until I can sight down the blade and see the kind of convex I am looking for. You can also use this time to get rid of any grind lines you don't want. Once you have that - move up in grit until you get to 2000. Then use worn 2000. Then go to a loaded strop an strop the entire length of the grind. Make sure you are not raising up the knife too much and creating a very steep convex edge. You want the convex grind to to move from spine to edge in a fluid manner. Go through your compounds and end on bare leather.

Take your time - you really can't screw it up if you take your time - especially if you have a convex knife that you like the edge on. See what was done there - and try to mimic it.

TF

Geesh TF, another outstanding post. Thank you for taking the time to put your sharpening techniques into words.

Mark

Tal,

Nice write up. I'm curious to know your impression of the 'vex as compared to the Scandi. I don't have many Scandi ground blades, I generally prefer a convex edge. The Arete with the original Scandi edge works very well as a general purpose field knife. (I have to confess that the Scandi edge on mine probably has a hint of convex at the very edge now.) Have you formed an impression as to which edge type you prefer for the Arete?

Cheers!

Rotte,

Both.

Honestly. I travel from the south to the north during the season. When I am in a boreal like forest - I prefer a Scandi blade - but when I am processing hard wood - I prefer a Scandi.

It is all about preference for the wood I am going to use. I will say this though - If I know I am going to be out and not sure what wood and things I am going to do - I grab the Convex. It is easier to sharpen in the field and I know it will maintain its edge a little longer due to the bullet shape.

In short, be a whore, and buy both. I am here for some pants if you want some.

TF

Makes sense. I agree that the convex edge is a bit easier to touch up in the field, but I have no complaints with my Scandi version.

I'll keep an eye out for a convex Arete....

Pveiled,

TF

Thanks so much for the information and the inspiration TF!

I've heard of guys using stones for convex blades, and I know that if you sharpen on a stone by hand you're inevitably going to make some type of micro-convex edge, but still...that's mighty impressive IMO. I would certainly not feel comfortable working a convex edge on a stone, so my hat is off to you good sir.

Now, leather and some sandpaper...that feels more like my territory. I have been using the same piece of scrap leather for years and it has so many freaking pinholes in it (from holding sandpaper) that I have actually decided to go for the gusto and I am going to build something new. It's time to retire my strop too, as it has been used for everything from knives to straight razors and it wasn't even mine originally so it has certainly seen better days. I was thinking about building something that incorporates leather loaded with stopping compound, plain leather and leather-backed sandpaper, like the DLT Ultimate Block Strop/Hone, seen here: http://www.dlttrading.com/dlt-ultimate-hone.html.

Anyway, the long-winded point is I think your words of assurance have helped me decide to take the plunge. I've done some finishing work in the past and have even re-profiled a blade or two but I've always had an extremely experienced mentor over my shoulder, and that mentor is unfortunately gone. I'm a bit reluctant to start this project on my own, but your words have assured me: "Take your time - you really can't screw it up if you take your time" That's just what he would have said :D More than that, you're absolutely right: I CAN do this as long as it's well thought out and practiced. Thanks for the superb review AND the encouragement TF!

Sure man. Look in the For sale section - there are some custom hard wood strops for sale there that are REALLY cheap. That is where I would go. A JRE strop bat is not a bad idea either.

Some Bark River compound is excellent as well.

Just don't get leather that is too squishy. You want it to give a little - but not bend - the convex edge will be too severe at that point.

People that use a mouse pad have to be VERY light with their touch, IMHO, to get the right results.

TF

TF

I can say from a knife maker's perspective a 400-600 grit machine finish is about as good as you can get and still have a good looking finish. I know that on hollow grinds I have had the ability to get a more polished finish but on convex and flat grinds which I do both of it is difficult to get an even finish on the blade. At that point you move into the hand rubbed finish which can be done, at a price. And I can tell you from personal experience, hand rubbed definitely takes some time.

I think it boils down to the old adage, you can't please all of the people all of the time. I personally prefer a coarser finish on some applications. It makes it harder to see the scratches on the blade after use.

Back