Important Info! Fiddleback Friday 10/9/20

I scored the Buffalo Bill: I'm hoping I don't find the 5/32 too thick, though I suspect that the high grind will ensure it's plenty "slicey", as they say. Wood scales, trinity pinout, and an appealing design -- I could hardly have stopped myself. But what's the story behind it? There is literally no description or backstory on the Fiddleback website, only listed are the usual knife specifications; no info. Why the name?

I could be completely wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time... but just looking at the knife's profile with the deep sweeping belly that would lend itself to skinning, and how the first-two-fingers scallop in the handle would enhance purchase or hands slick with blood and tallow, It should make a good hunting and skinning knife, and that may be what the name is a nod to. I think the high grind on the 5/32 makes the best all around working field knives from my experiences, and that fuller handle should aid in the grippy-ness of it as well.

I could be completely wrong, certainly wouldn't be the first time... but just looking at the knife's profile with the deep sweeping belly that would lend itself to skinning, and how the first-two-fingers scallop in the handle would enhance purchase or hands slick with blood and tallow, It should make a good hunting and skinning knife, and that may be what the name is a nod to. I think the high grind on the 5/32 makes the best all around working field knives from my experiences, and that fuller handle should aid in the grippy-ness of it as well.
Appreciate that, Brian! Especially your thoughts regarding the versatility of a high grind 5/32 -Thank you!

Just grabbed my first Fiddlebacks in this drop. Couldn’t decide on one so I got two, with a plan to keep one and gift the other to one of my sons when he’s just a little older.

Love the variety in designs and colors but the fact that they all look great doesn’t make the decision process easy.
That's awesome!!! Welcome to the fam! There is not turning back now. :D

Thanks. I grabbed the BC Jr and the HB so as I see it that leaves at least two more FF knives that I’ll need to get - something a little bigger and maybe something a little smaller. My fear is that all the great designs and color combos are going to have me buying more than just those.

Resistance is futile. It can only be delayed for awhile. :p

IMG_0314.JPG IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0313.JPG

I got a Bear Cub ( if that is what it is called) on the secondary market, I thought the handle was too small and put in a drawer for awhile. Just took it out again today, and now it feels just right. I say this just to show how one can change their mind, and the fever takes hold again. You say to yourself, if this one is good, I bet if I get another in another handle configuration would be even better.

Last edited:
View attachment 1435641 View attachment 1435637 View attachment 1435638 View attachment 1435639 View attachment 1435640

I got a Bear Cub ( if that is what it is called) on the secondary market, I thought the handle was too small and put in a drawer for awhile. Just took it out again today, and now it feels just right. I say this just to show how one can change their mind, and the fever takes hold again. You say to yourself, if this one is good, I bet if I get another in another handle configuration would be even better.

I remember that Bear Cub coming out, I love that handle.

I scored the Buffalo Bill: I'm hoping I don't find the 5/32 too thick, though I suspect that the high grind will ensure it's plenty "slicey", as they say. Wood scales, trinity pinout, and an appealing design -- I could hardly have stopped myself. But what's the story behind it? There is literally no description or backstory on the Fiddleback website, only listed are the usual knife specifications; no info. Why the name?
whelp.....in order to have a "awesome" story, i'd have to make one up. I'll just say. We've got a creative bunch in house and out

So Buffalo Bill Cody appeared to Andy in a dream and said "make me this knife; give it my name" and so he did.

Whoa...wait a minute, the appearance of BBCody needs some initializing event which prompted his spirit to cross dimensions and seek out Andy for his manifestation. Perhaps some worrisome peril in our time-line which had a parallel situation in BBC's time, and he was offering counsel and inferences of suggestion.

Need some texture to the legend here, people.

:)

Now Fiddleback Outpost Fiddleback Outpost just needs to update the description on the website to turn this legend into reality where it's origins will become lost to memory. Hahaha.

Whoa...wait a minute, the appearance of BBCody needs some initializing event which prompted his spirit to cross dimensions and seek out Andy for his manifestation. Perhaps some worrisome peril in our time-line which had a parallel situation in BBC's time, and he was offering counsel and inferences of suggestion.

Need some texture to the legend here, people.

:)

See, this is why it's blank...so that people make up their own backstory using a western legend. The truth may have more sinister origins to which I can only hint at.

It does look like it would be good at "skinning" you know.

I’m loving this BC Jr. Great design and execution. From the handle to the steel to the box they came in, you can tell that plenty of pride goes into the product.

Back