1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiddlebacks and Wildlife in Costa Rica 2018

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by hasco, Mar 9, 2018.

1. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    The family and I just got back from a quick to trip to Costa Rica. We were there a few years ago in a different area. I posted a thread about that trip too, but it has since been eaten by the photobucket beast. This time we flew in to San Jose, rented a car and headed for the Nicoya peninsula. After driving through traffic, getting on a ferry and some very pothole ridden dirt roads, we arrived at our destination in Santa Teresa on the Pacific Coast.

I would love to say I always travel light but in reality it is almost always the opposite. Along with clothes, travel necessities, camera gear, and two surfboards, I was able to cram in my Fiddleback machete and production kephart. I also rented a 100-400 lens for my Fuji xt2 to try and get some wildlife shots. Although the lens is rather large and getting good shots of moving wildlife in the jungle can be difficult, I was able to get a few decent shots. There were a few birds that just would not cooperate for good lighting opportunities unfortunately. Here is a small sample of the over 1000 pics I took. Since I often had the big lens on the fuji to take pictures of wildlife, some of these pictures are taken with my phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The production kephart has become my go to knife for a lot of journeys now. I should know by now to bring a sharpener for the kitchen knives when we go on vacation. Since I didn't have anything to sharpen the dull kitchen knives, the kephart far outperformed what was there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hasco

Jan 30, 2014
    The machete was the go to for opening coconuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the biggest surprises of the trip was the food. The beach town of Santa Teresa has attracted people from all over the world including some amazing chefs. We ate some of the the best food I had ever had.

[​IMG]

My son liked the food too. We were trying to get him interested in all the wildlife, which he definitely was, but the food was so good we were also inadvertently turning him into a foodie.

[​IMG]

I was excited to see him getting into the birding and other wildlife. By the end of the trip he was identifying birds better than me. He had looked at the bird guide so much he could tell you what page in the book to turn to from memory when looking up a bird.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a good trip and I was glad to have my Fiddlebacks with me for the adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing! Very cool that you're taking your son traveling, a lot of kids don't get that opportunity. I was one of the lucky ones that got to do a lot of traveling in my middle school/junior high/ and early high school years. It definitely helped shape me as I was maturing. I actually wrote my college application essay on all of the traveling I was lucky enough to do in my earlier years. :thumbsup:

hasco likes this.
  4. CAD

CAD

Jan 11, 2006
    Awesome pictures!! Thanks so much for sharing:)

Chris D.

hasco likes this.
  5. PolRoger

PolRoger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2007
    That is some really nice photography! :thumbsup:

hasco likes this.
  6. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    very cool hasco

thanks for sharing!

hasco likes this.
  7. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Fantastic photography! looks like a great trip.

hasco likes this.
  8. catalystman80

catalystman80 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2013
    Awesome post and photos Tod! The fuji does take some great photos, for general travel photos I don’t find the need to do any color correction. Very pleasing out of the camera. Great to see a post to one of the older Fiddleback forum members :)

hasco likes this.
  9. mistwalker

mistwalker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Wow!! That's all I got for now Todd. I'm on my way to take Alayna to a dance then out for dessert afterward. I'll have to respond more after the second perusing :)

hasco likes this.
  10. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    Sweet trip report! Great pictures!

hasco likes this.
  11. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Very cool trip. Great choice of knives. The pro-kephart is a knife that really shines in those environments. I think you son needs a pro-hiking buddy to carry.

hasco likes this.
  12. mistwalker

mistwalker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    This is such an awesome post. After all of the dreary grayness...lifelessness of winter here, seeing the greenery and wildlife is wonderful. Makes me miss the subtropics of the keys and glades of south Florida very badly. I have it on pretty good authority that being a bird-watching-foodie isn't the worst thing a guy could be :) Great shots Todd, thanks for sharing man.

hasco likes this.
  13. Scotcha

Scotcha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Stunning pics and what a nice holiday :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing.

hasco likes this.
  14. Kal-El

Kal-El Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Hey Tod, for the last few months, I've been trying to convince the wife that we NEED to go to Costa Rica this year. I think your pics were just the fuel I needed :D Thanks!!

And, thank you in general for the post. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

NUTRAMAC, Bmurray and hasco like this.
  15. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Great pics- pura vida! :D

Family vacation in June/July will be either Costa Rica or Spain.

Bmurray and hasco like this.
  16. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    ... In other words, the Fiddleback Forum Friday crew showed up?

o_O

-- Great post(s) and pictures.

Thanks.

:)

~ P.

17. hasco

Jan 30, 2014
    Thanks for all the nice words everyone!

18. hasco

Jan 30, 2014
    Lol! That about sums it up.

19. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Costa Rica is now know as Hawaii 40 years ago. It’s the place to move to.

20. hasco

Jan 30, 2014
    Thanks Brian! Yes, a bird-watching-foodie is definitely a good thing to aspire to! I just thought it was a bit ironic that part of my reason for traveling to places like Costa Rica is to expose my son to different cultures and see a life that very different from ours at home. We started off the trip eating some authentic Costa Rican food, but once we got into the town of Santa Teresa we ended up eating at a lot of restaurants that were started by people from all over the world. It was a great culinary experience for all of us and we loved it. It just wasn't quite the cultural food experience I was expecting. I like when we are somewhere that is different and we have to eat in way we might not usually. I think it is especially good for kids as some of them can get picky about what they eat. I notice my son is really open to eating other foods when there are not any other options. It just turned out that there were lots of great options where we went. We did get some more authentic Costa Rican lunches as we were traveling that we all really enjoyed. The most ironic thing was on the last night the nearest restaurant to the airport hotel we stayed at was a Denny's. My son had never eaten at one and he loved it. :D

Here is a shot of our first typical breakfast of beans, rice, eggs, fried plantains and fruit.

[​IMG]DSCF8450

Bmurray likes this.