Field Knife 2, standard or thin?

I'm committed to getting a Field Knife but, which one? I have a BRK Bravo 1 which, while a nice knife is simply too thick for me. I debated getting a BRK Bravo 1LT but, think I will be better served, even at a higher cost, with a CPK Field Knife.

I live on a farm and don't need a TEOTHAWI knife I can baton through the hatch of an M1 Abram tank or slay zombies! :D Heck, I don't think it will ever need to be batoned through a knotty piece of firewood either since I typically have an axe nearby.

I really like hard and slicey knives. For trimming small limbs in my orchard and hacking tough weeds in my fence line, along with other rural farm-oriented tasks, would you get the thin and hard version or standard and why?

TIA,
Sid

Both. A standard at minimum.

I’d suggest that a 15dps vs 18dps will make more difference than the two versions with the same edge geometry slicing wise.

Edit: I have a Bravo and a Gunny. Not even in the same league.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the standard. It's already pretty hard and thin. It comes standard at 18 DPS and that will serve you well. It's not over built. It's a pre-optimized package for regular users looking for a high performance knife, there's no need to over think it. If you're coming from a BRK Bravo 1, this thing is going to blow your mind.

for my use, the regular version is about as thin a cross section as I'd be comfortable with with that kind of knife. You can generate a lot of power with the FK despite its not huge dimensions

[QUOTE="
I live on a farm and don't need a TEOTHAWI knife I can baton through the hatch of an M1 Abram tank or slay zombies! :D Heck, I don't think it will ever need to be batoned through a knotty piece of firewood either since I typically have an axe nearby.

I really like hard and slicey knives. For trimming small limbs in my orchard and hacking tough weeds in my fence line, along with other rural farm-oriented tasks, would you get the thin and hard version or standard and why?

TIA,
Sid[/QUOTE]
I’d get the regular one. It is a good cutter with a great handle. I actually think you’d like an HDFK even more for what you are describing but they are hard to find right now. I hope there is another batch at some point so I can get a backup!

My take is that if you want to go with 1 knife only, standard is preferred. However, if you are always going to be carrying a beefier knife, you can start considering the thin version as a secondary blade dedicated for slicing only and nothing too heavy duty.

Can't add much new to what's been said already but I will agree that the regular FK2 will perform very well and cuts better than most thinner stock knives of similar size. For use on wood and brush I would go with the regular grind if wanted for meat the thinner grind would give you a bit better slicing.

Back