Field sharpening the dual edge

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
The dual convex/flat edge should be easy to field resharpen as that is the primary design goal. It gives more strength than a flat edge profile, but allows you to sharpen with similar methods. However, you restore the worn edge by lightly honing on *one* side only. To illustrate :

dual.jpg

The top image is a sharp dual edge, the second one is a worn one. The next shots show two different ways to restore the edge. The first one is to raise the flat bevel up to match, this would be done on a flat hone. The last picture shows what would result if you used a ceramic rod to lightly micro-bevel the edge instead.

When doing this you do not want to use the burr method as you now have to take this off by honing on the convex bevel which if you can do then have a full convex grind on the edge. Just give the edge a few strokes and test it. Repeat this until it gets sharp. With experience you will greatly reduce the number of times you need to test the edge.

If you do oversharpen a little and form a light burr then use a loaded strop to work it off. In fact using a steel and loaded strop for field sharpening will go a long way and you should only really need to resort to a hone after a digging session or something similar.

Now over time after many such field sharpening, the dual edge will get distorted as you are only honing on one side. So periodically when you are home you might want to hone the convex part of the bevel to keep the edge at 100 % .

-Cliff

Thanks Cliff.

I have a Badger Attack (my first Busse) on order with Andy, and this will help in maintaining the egde greatly.

What would we do without you?
Take care
Greg

Great info Cliff. When you say to hone the convex bevel due to distortion developing after time, I assume stropping would be the first step but if not having satisfactory outcome and need to resort to SiC wet/dry sandpaper (as you indicated in another similar thread) how would you recommend one can get a consistent bevel without a (slack) belt sander? I've got the paper sheets, but don't feel consistancy will be as good by "rolling" the blade to get the bevel.

Strabs, working on a convex bevel with backed sandpaper is actually easier than trying to maintain a constant flat angle on a stone. You might scratch up the blade a little if you have not done it before but a little tape can prevent this if it is a concern. And yes, regular stropping will go a long way.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 05-11-2000).]

Back