Leather Figuring out a new pattern for an old Rat :-) FFG Rat fits too :-)

duramax

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
wanted to practice more and figure out a new pattern. So here’s attempt # 1 Lol
Couple wonky spots where I changed my mind lol.
This will fit FFG Infidu , Infidu, sr101 Ratmandu :)

B81E0098-BD27-4E44-BE71-45F449CECC9A.jpeg
D074A716-1706-42FE-9DB1-58FE2F0EE7AB.jpeg
02514E52-7B74-4F46-95D7-32AF54F81441.jpeg
F6CF4ED2-F159-4BA7-B0FE-4329A823DC24.jpeg
Thanks for looking :)

Hey what does everyone think about the dual slot belt loop ?

Last edited:
Looks fantastic, but I have a question:
Why do you arrange the retention strap like it is? It would seem that keeps the retention strap on the edge side closer to the edge, where it is more likely to get sliced. Whereas, if you reversed the arrangement, the retention strap on the edge side would be pulled well away from the edge, and stay closer on the spine side.
You know more about it than I do, so I'm not criticizing. I'm just wondering. The sheath looks fantastic.

Looks fantastic, but I have a question:
Why do you arrange the retention strap like it is? It would seem that keeps the retention strap on the edge side closer to the edge, where it is more likely to get sliced. Whereas, if you reversed the arrangement, the retention strap on the edge side would be pulled well away from the edge, and stay closer on the spine side.
You know more about it than I do, so I'm not criticizing. I'm just wondering. The sheath looks fantastic.

dogboye,,

Sorry I missed your post with question. I don’t know how, but I did. I apologize :)
So here’s a late response to your question. The retention strap could be arranged the way you mention. Even on the sheath that brought up your question. So the strap could go through the slot, then around the back of sheath to front. I learned that setup from Armoralleather :) I don’t know why I didn’t on that one. Except that I was figuring up a new pattern and that was a scratch sheath.
8361B183-80E8-4835-9668-7746F9C69EEB.jpeg 6D33405F-E3E1-44DA-9038-C74CB84932A4.jpeg
On the new sheath posted. I positioned the strap for best retention. As that sheath can carry scout style. That strap is 10/12 oz leather, you’d have to go some to slice it. I can also at times reverse the strap so snap is on left of sheath not right.
I make all my sheaths from scratch by hand. So they all very from sheath to sheath. Plus I can accommodate most requests :)

Last edited:
dogboye,,

Sorry I missed your post with question. I don’t know how, but I did. I apologize :)
So here’s a late response to your question. The retention strap could be arranged the way you mention. Even on the sheath that brought up your question. So the strap could go through the slot, then around the back of sheath to front. I learned that setup from Armoralleather :) I don’t know why I didn’t on that one. Except that I was figuring up a new pattern and that was a scratch sheath.
View attachment 1325950 View attachment 1325951
On the new sheath posted. I positioned the strap for best retention. As that sheath can carry scout style. That strap is 10/12 oz leather, you’d have to go some to slice it. I can also at times reverse the strap so snap is on left of sheath not right.
I make all my sheaths from scratch by hand. So they all very from sheath to sheath. Plus I can accommodate most requests :)
no worries on missing it. I was just curious. I still think all the sheaths look fantastic. We need more good leather sheath-makers here on the board, and it certainly appears you are there.

no worries on missing it. I was just curious. I still think all the sheaths look fantastic. We need more good leather sheath-makers here on the board, and it certainly appears you are there.

Thank you, hey ask away I like questions :thumbsup: Sometimes an outside look may spot something. That may bring about a better design idea :)
Thanks for the kind words, my craft has improved. I’m learning more and more all the time. :)

So are you selling yet? Or still just perfecting your craft?

Yes I am selling, I have quite a few sheaths out there already. I do this as a hobby so turnaround time is slow. Not years though lol. So I still need to set up a PP account;):(:p As of now it’s check or mo. I’ve sent some sheaths out to customers for inspection first. If all’s good then they’ve sent payment. Hey I’m new and a knife guy and member here so I get it :)
There’s some pics of my work in “sheaths and such” area here on BF. It’s under thread whatcha been up to.

Thank you, hey ask away I like questions :thumbsup: Sometimes an outside look may spot something. That may bring about a better design idea :)
Thanks for the kind words, my craft has improved. I’m learning more and more all the time. :)

Yes I am selling, I have quite a few sheaths out there already. I do this as a hobby so turnaround time is slow. Not years though lol. So I still need to set up a PP account;):(:p As of now it’s check or mo. I’ve sent some sheaths out to customers for inspection first. If all’s good then they’ve sent payment. Hey I’m new and a knife guy and member here so I get it :)
There’s some pics of my work in “sheaths and such” area here on BF. It’s under thread whatcha been up to.

I'll be in touch. I have a pretty large Busse that needs a good heavy-duty leather sheath.

that is some amazing work man that thing looks heavy duty

Thank you :)
The brown sheath is 10/12oz veg tan leather, Double stitched. Conditioned inside and out with oils & beeswax. It’s pretty solid :)

I'll be in touch. I have a pretty large Busse that needs a good heavy-duty leather sheath.

I might possibly have a pretty large Busse blade here already;):D:D Although some have evaded me :(

Back