File knives

how does a knife blade made from an old file hold up, relative to the A2, INFI, ATS 34 ect. steel's used in 5 to 7in. combat blades? specificly, the prying or flexing strength. are these very hard to sharpen? how is the edge holding. I realize alot depends on the file steel used. does anyone have any specific expirence with Anza Knives of Santee? their spear point "combat knife" would seem to be a good project i.e. replace the laminated wood handle with micarta or something else, with a custom fit. what would be the easiest material to use to make a better handle (micarta, ?) I like the shape of the busse handle, but I know without the full tang supporting the outline of the handle, it would be a tradeoff. thoughts

Hi Hank,

You might try posting this question over in the Shop Talk forum, which is the domain of knife makers who deal with steel as their day to day business. There you are most likely to get the answer you're looking for.

Remember that steel choice is only one of the elements in the Holy Trinity Of Blades:
- steel
- geometry
- heat treat
A bad choice for any one of them can destroy the other two done well.

Files are usually 1095, W1, W2. All good, simple steels that have been used for knife making for ages. These steels are carbon steels unlike the more complex alloys you listed. If well made they can be the best of knives. . . but they do rust if neglected.

Back