Files?

I have been shopping on the web for some new hand files, the ones I use are old and beat up. The more I read the more I realized not every file is different. Some are for metal only and others for wood and similar material. I bought some Iwasaki files a while back but found them to be more aggressive than I need for most tasks.

I am leaning on you guys who may have some experience with different files to help guide me in the direction of a quality file that will last me awhile. I seem to burn through Nicholsons pretty fast and they don't stay sharp for very long. I am thinking I need several ranging in coarseness, size and a combination of wood and metal. Half round files are mostly what I am after for handle shaping and refinement. I would like to acquire some jimping or checkering files as well, needle files later on down the road.

Anyone have any suggestions on brand and location to purchase?

Falcon Tool from Ohio have great ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falcon Tool from Ohio have great ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pferd makes great files as good if not better than NOS USA made files. I sharpen a lot of vintage axes and run across a few that my old USA made files won't bite but the Pferd will.
I get mine on ebay but you can Google and find other sources with better selections. Unfortunately Nicholsons are now outsourced to several different foreign manufacturers and they are useless for my purposes.

Pferd makes great files as good if not better than NOS USA made files. I sharpen a lot of vintage axes and run across a few that my old USA made files won't bite but the Pferd will.
I get mine on ebay but you can Google and find other sources with better selections. Unfortunately Nicholsons are now outsourced to several different foreign manufacturers and they are useless for my purposes.

Thank you! I did check out some Pferds and have pretty good reviews. I will have to take another hard look at them thank you for the suggestion.

Back