Filing an axe

I've meant to post some video of my filing technique for some time. I finally got around to uploading some video. I think this is good technique. Much of the motion is in the legs and body.

The axe is a vintage Plumb double bit reversible. It's a true reversible with the eye measuring the same size top and bottom. A straight edge place against either end of the eye reveals a flat surface with no taper at all.

Hope you enjoy the video.

[video=youtube;lSNK6i3mudA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSNK6i3mudA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;PBbmp2Vwq0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBbmp2Vwq0A&feature=youtu.be[/video]

WARNING!!!!!

NEVER LEAVE A SHARP TOOL IN THE VISE!!!!!

Somebody can bump into it and do themselves a major body trauma. Imagine stumbling into a razor sharp axe that's mounted solid as a rock. Big ouch!

Last edited:
Thanks, this is timely. I've done a couple lately but have been meaning to re-watch a technique video.

:thumbup: Good display of the correct form. Thanks for the videos

That is a great video Square_peg!

I noticed you were maintaining your angle and form by using your torso in a rocking motion. Reminds me of something you shared earlier:

Page%201.jpg

This is something I try to keep in mind since you shared that.

Any examples of the outcomes? - fishing for pictures :)

I would make a video but unless I'm against a dark background I kind of wash out...

So what is the proper way to hold a hafted axe securely for filing? Leather wrap on handle and grip that in the vise? I make it work but would love to confirm the correct method.

BTW, I have an awesome 5.5" post vise that is complete and has no problems. I just need to clean it, lube it and decide where to mount it. It's a keeper, the ones that turn up all too often have issues. Kept outside, how is rust dealt with? Just an oil spray every so often?

Any examples of the outcomes? - fishing for pictures :)

Half banana grind. The bit was thin enough that I didn't need to go back any further.

Grind%201.jpg

Before I started filing I re-shaped the bit at the grinder. I removed a chip and compensated for a slightly worn heel and toe. This left me with a bit almost 1/8" wide when I started filing. You can see in the photo that I have already started filing the left side of the bit. With good filing technique and sharp files it took me about 30 minutes for each bit. I'll spend another 20-30 minutes honing each bit.

Bit.jpg

This is a project for a friend. I'll hang it on an octagonalized TH haft.

So what is the proper way to hold a hafted axe securely for filing? Leather wrap on handle and grip that in the vise? I make it work but would love to confirm the correct method.

I would clamp the haft to a high work bench with a pair of large quick-grip squeeze clamps. Put a low stop behind the poll. A scrap of leather under the haft at the contact point keeps it from sliding around. Alternately you can use C-clamps but you'll want to pad the haft with leather both to protect it and stop the clamp from sliding off.

Some single bits with substantial polls and thick eye walls can be held with the vise even after hanging.

It's really best to sharpen the axe before hanging. Infinitely easier this way.

First fit the eye to the head but don't wedge it permanent. Then shape the haft to the head, indexing any octagoning to the head. Next separate the haft and head and finish them separately. When the head is honed and the haft is finished bring the two completed components together.

I like the guard you've got the file in the first video--a piece of clear PVC tubing, right? Good tough stuff, that.

I've meant to post some video of my filing technique for some time. I finally got around to uploading some video. I think this is good technique. Much of the motion is in the legs and body.

The axe is a vintage Plumb double bit reversible. It's a true reversible with the eye measuring the same size top and bottom. A straight edge place against either end of the eye reveals a flat surface with no taper at all.

Hope you enjoy the video.

[video=youtube;lSNK6i3mudA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSNK6i3mudA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;PBbmp2Vwq0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBbmp2Vwq0A&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Very nice video. Thanks for taking the time and posting it up. Do you still mount the head in your vise like this when there is a handle in the head for filing?
At first I thought I found someone with a more cluttered up work bench than mine, your looks a lot like mine . I even have an old Black Lab that is always in the way, but after seeing my bench this morning, I still have you be a long shot. LOL.

By the way?? Other than Nicholson who really makes a quality file presently? I've heard that the Swiss made Grobet is still good quality??

I've also heard that aluminum oxide stones work decently for axes and other edged striking tools. Also learning the technique of producing a convex edge helps too I'm told.

By the way?? Other than Nicholson who really makes a quality file presently? I've heard that the Swiss made Grobet is still good quality??

I've also heard that aluminum oxide stones work decently for axes and other edged striking tools. Also learning the technique of producing a convex edge helps too I'm told.

Pferd makes great files. I have an old Marbles hatchet that none of my vintage USA files would bite. The Pferd is the only one that will sharpen it. You can find them on eBay. The big ones are hard to find on eBay but plenty of 6 and 8" available .

Do you still mount the head in your vise like this when there is a handle in the head for filing?

A few axes can still be set in the vise even after hanging.

At first I thought I found someone with a more cluttered up work bench than mine, your looks a lot like mine . I even have an old Black Lab that is always in the way, but after seeing my bench this morning, I still have you be a long shot. LOL.

I have another bench in the garage that's just as bad. Lately I've been doing a lot more picking than refurbishing (I may need an intervention). Just been too busy. It sucks.

Pferd makes great files. I have an old Marbles hatchet that none of my vintage USA files would bite. The Pferd is the only one that will sharpen it. You can find them on eBay. The big ones are hard to find on eBay but plenty of 6 and 8" available .

I only have experience with one Pferd. It tears through metal like a cheese grater. I use it to remove mushrooming really quickly and not on the edge as it leaves pretty deep marks. If their other patterns are as effective then they have my vote.

Here is a picture of the ones I am using right now:

zrOzLDz.jpg

fBjKUlO.jpg

Pferd 1-B, Simonds Nu-Kut/Multi-cuts (American and Honduran), Simonds 10” and 8” – in that order I guess. *The tape on that Simonds was to keep the end from scratching the poll of a head during a reprofile – it works actually.

z8xxRSF.jpg

d4pI8sn.jpg

The Simonds Multi-cuts are my most used. Visually, the American and Honduran made ones show differences in outright build quality but to be honest, if I pick up either I can’t tell the difference in performance when using them. They do a great job of removing material easily and it’s pretty simple to follow with a finer file to remove a lot of the marks.

Sometimes 2cents is just 2cents but decent files do make a huge difference in how enjoyable working on stuff is.

Last edited:
That multi-cut pattern is excellent. Fast removal without leaving too many real coarse file marks.

Back