Off Topic FIllet knife UPDATE WITH PHOTOS

Would like to bring a fillet knife to the BWCA this year. In the past I have always used the 4 inch bushcraft style knife I have had on me. My question is if anyone has personal use with a high quality fillet knife. I don't care for the cheap stainless steel ones from walmart as I can't keep them sharp. Don't want to spend a ton of money, but willing to if the blade will stay sharp and it is worth it in your opinion.

IMG_5150.jpg
I've had one of these for over 20 years and it's never let me down. It's processed meat from Bass to Bear and I've never had to give it more than a few strokes across a steel.

The guy I cook with, and we cook for several thousand people every year at LSU home games...6-800 people per home game except for Troy, Northern Illinois etc..wehre there will only be 4-500 people...

Not to mention all of the charity cooking he and I do and the festival cooking he does, and his just for fun sausage and boudin making etc, etc...he does not process sides of beef, and we do process big huge hunks of meet that is as un-processed as we can get it to keep costs down.

He uses Dexters and we debone pork, beef, chicken and slice it all up rather precisely for certain recipes and use the same knives for fine vegetable processing etc...all with washing stations of course.

We use all shapes and sizes and they work great and seem to be timeless and indestructible.

and, every duck/fish camp/cleaning station and boat down here have them in full use.

I cut meat for a living and we use Dexter Russell as well as a few other brands.
They are all ran pretty soft (by knife knut standards) but will take a fairly keen edge. Easily maintained with a steel, and if need be, the base of a steel is often untouched and can be used to actually remove some material, if you don't have a DMT Diafold or comparable on you.

440C holds an edge pretty good, not the best, but very good! The Ergonomics are great on the White Rivers however, and they are a full tang knife (if that matters to you) Really boils down to how much you want to spend on a basic fillet knife i guess:thumbsup: I have been very pleased with the one's I have-Good luck;)

I would also recommend Dexter. I have never used their fillet knife but we have a few other style Dexters that we use at the shop for our monthly bbq's and they have been great. Love the handles and they take a scary sharp edge. Also, their diamond impregnated aluminum sharpening steel works great. When I want to knock back the shoulders on my infi and sr101 I take them with me to work and use it. Pretty fine but still cuts steel nicely if you get aggressive with it.

Wanted to give an update on what I chose. I was going to purchase a fillet knife from North Arm Knives but they were out of stock and not American Made which is desirable to me. The Dexter can't be beat for the price but I decided to see if I could get one custom made with the steal, blade length, and finish I wanted. Dan Peters made it to my exact specifications and I am extremely happy with it.
3v steel at 62 Rockwell. 7 inch length. The blade was acid etched and then brushed to a smooth finish for corrosion. Sealed micarta handle. Dangler sheath. Highly recommend working with Dan Peters. Now I just need one in infi to compare it to.IMG_20180511_175026471.jpg IMG_20180511_175033133.jpg

Back