Fillet of Business card

Sando

Knife Maker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
While I was at Reno some MS's were discussing business card splitting as a possible MS test. (You place the card flat on a table and use the knife to fillet it like a fish. So you have the front separated from the back.) "Sounds pretty wild," I thought. "Can it be done?"

I did some today. Didn't actually do an entire card - not patient enough, but half of one. On a freshly sharpened knife it wasn't too hard - if the blade is thin. The other blade I tried was sharp, but thicker. That didn't work so well.

It's a fun party prank, but I don't know how valuable it is.

I think it shows more of how thin the edge is than how sharp or refined. Hmmmm, maybe it also shows how consistent the edge is in thickness and polish - maybe that's the value of the test.

Your thoughts?

Steve

Good idea Steve but if you really want to show off, throw a card in the air and fillet it before it hits!:eek:

anybody remember the three piece rubber band cut :) :) :)
loop the band over the blade.
Pull the rubber band against the edge, edge away from you, if the knife is really sharp you get three pieces.

Hmmmm, I don't think I could pass that test:confused:

I would have a better chance slicing that card using my Winchester, Model: Laredo, chambered in 7mm mag, at 200 yards. Man I love that gun!:D :rolleyes: :D

Sean,

Give it a try it isn't that all that hard. Heck I can do it with my Schrade pocket knife - not perfectly because the blade is short, but it works.

Because intuitively it sounds impossible, it makes a nice show-off stunt.

Still don't know if it makes a valid ABS MS test.

Steve

Wayne Goddard says he can cut the print off a newspaper! How sharp is that?
Lynn

Shaving off newsprint is easy. So is fileting most paper, haven't tried splitting a business card but shaving ribbons off aint hard. Jsut takes a well polished thin edge and a steady hand.
Maybe I can get some scans sometime of the peices, don't have a digital camera.

I'll be da@#ed. I decided to try it and sure enough after I realized I had to put my glasses on, I filleted a good clean layer.

Here's one for you. Go for an edge that is stout enough for some serious chopping ...

2x4_chop.jpg

... yet keen enough to slice cigarette papers:

cig_paper_slice.jpg

On the cigarette paper slice, you don't cut with anything backing the paper. Hold it out in front of you with the thumb and index finger, then try to make a clean slice -- no tearing. It's a booger. You need an edge that is a little "toothy" or you can't even start the cut. A polished edge just tends to slide on the paper. If the edge is too "toothy" it can snag and tear the paper.

This was one of the events we had to do in the first (I think) ABS cutting competition at Old Washington, Arkansas several years ago.

On the business card, you don't have to slice it completely into two halves. You lay the card on a table and try to filet a long slice lengthwise without cutting all the way through the card. The strip you are slicing will curl up as you progress down the length of the card, and may only be 1/4" wide. The main thing is don't cut all the way through.

Cool test Terry, very impressive. But, I don't think I can do it. If my kids catch me with those papers.......

Steve

Back