Fillipino/Indonesian Reverse Grip Styles

I have heard it said that the Fillipino and Indonesian styles of knife-fighting favor the reverse grip, in contrast to European knife-fighting favoring the standard grip. Which specific FMA styles does this refer to that emphasize reverse grip? Don't many FMA styles use European-based (usually Spanish, but in "Ettalienne" style Italian) bladework? Please help me clear up this confusion!

deleted.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 12-26-2000).]

I'm not the gospel by any means but I have not seen any FMA style tell anyone that reverse grip is the way to go..We/I was always taught that grip was range dictated, not an arbitrary choice on my part....therefore we/I learned several grips, forward & reverse...being the generic mainstays...

Sifu Bram: That's a really interesting comment that you made, about range dictating grip and it got me thinking...I remember way back when, I was taught knife carry method determined grip (not by James Keating either, although his reverse grip video is interesting).

Of course, range is very important as to what grip you use and that point is not to be disputed.

Is carry and deployment method currently what you consider to be paramount in determining grip, or is range?

Dave

Hi Bram,
I agree, all the training and instructors i have had never have told me to pick one way or the other, even Dr. Gyi who has used his skill will use 4 or 5 different positions, and that is with the Kukri!
What is you backround in filipino arts? I would love to exchange ideas,i have a school,i am certified under Guro Ron Balicki.
Hope to here from you
Thanks

Hi bram
one more thing, i am a great friend of Hocks too, my school is featured on his tape 10 streetfighter series, also advanced instructor in the the congress. i did no tknow you knew him.
thanks

Back