Finally broke and bought a SOG Powerlock

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
I was in Wally World getting oil, Slick 50 and a filter yesterday, and decided to drop by the sporting goods section and check out the airguns, guns and knives. Well, I saw that they carried the new Wave from Leatherman and the Powerlock. At first I was put off a little bit, why would WM have SOG products? Was the SOG a POS? I asked to see both the SOG and the Leatherman Wave, and after comparing both, I decided to get the SOG Powerlock (have no fear, I'm getting the Wave next month). The price probably had something to do with it, the SOG was $57, and the Wave was $70, you do the math. Anyway, I played with it, used it a little bit when I changed my oil, and basically just looked at what it could do. I used the blade and scissors to cut up some rags, used the pliers to tighten a valve, and basic little crap. I am curious as to what the blade is made of, but overall I like the tool.

Not only am I knife nut and an airgun nut, I'm a multi tool nut too :( :D .

I've Heard alot of good things about the SOG Powerlock and other tools from them. I have an old style Wave, but If I replace it ,I will go back to Gerber. I really like the slide opening of the jaws.

The things that make the powerlock special in my eyes are:
1. One hand flip open of pliers.
2. Compound leverage.
3. Ability to change and replace tools at will (or for cleaning).

The implements work well, but are just not impressive. I especially am not fond of the knife blade. It is probably 420 or 420HC or something like it, but it cuts fine after resharpening (the factory edge was not good on mine).

The Pliers and wirecutters are among the best out there, but I think there is room for improvement in the 'insides'. I suppose if SOG made better implements you could change them out yourself and 'upgrade'...

Edit:Wow... that sounds very negative... check out some of the reviews. They may have some info that will help you get more out of it... customizing, filing the sharp factory bends on the 'wings', how well the tools work (frank k's review)...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161220

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275546

I think the PowerLock has the best pliers of any multi-tool on the market. I just wish SOG would put the tools on the outside where they belong. If they did it would be the best overall.

--Bob Q

bquinlan said:
I think the PowerLock has the best pliers of any multi-tool on the market. I just wish SOG would put the tools on the outside where they belong. If they did it would be the best overall.

--Bob Q

I agree. Seems like now would be a very good time for SOG to overhaul the design and come up with a new version. (With the new LM charge and SwissTools turning heads.)

Putting the tools on the outside and making that scissors thicker/stronger would be a good start.

Back