Finally got a Kwaiken

I have always wanted a Kwaiken. Kinda got tired of production folders like my common para3 spyderco knives (had 7 of them in different steels) so I have slowly been selling them off.

I started reading the knifemaker section of the forum and encountered Phillip Patton’s amazing work. Lots of talented knife makers in that area of this forum. And many of the prices can be a surprise (in a good way).

A few emails back and forth of what I wanted, dimensions, sheath material, color of stingray skin, para cord, handle length etc and one month later the Kwaiken arrives.

Very happy with the final product and quality. About the cost of two para3 knives or even less cost than a small plain Jane sebenza folder.

I didn’t want the common red skin and black cord so I went with hologram green stingray skin and cordless para cord.

Qk2PDnn.jpg

zmIMUOA.jpg

AloPWys.jpg

Very nice! I've messed around in the restoration of Japanese swords, its so nice to see when a maker of a kwaiken takes the time replicating a traditional or semi-traditional handle wrap.
Beautify done knife! What a score!

Will this be a safe queen or do you have a use for it? I assume you used the Spyderco's.--KV

Will this be a safe queen or do you have a use for it? I assume you used the Spyderco's.--KV

I use everything I own. If it sits in the safe I can’t enjoy looking at it. Almost a shame that it will get wear marks and get dirty. But it definitely could be a safe queen, just not for me.

Great score! Another gorgeous Kwaiken from Mr. Patton. I really like your choice of colors and his grinds are crisp as always.
I purchased one of his Kwaikens last year. Pretty much used it everyday since then. It's not just the design/fit and finish that are great. The HT is spot on. I'm impressed how long it holds an edge and it strops nicely.

Very nice!!! What blade steel did he use?

Originally I wanted W2 steel with a hamon but I liked his hollow grind. Philip said “a hamon isn't real practical with this style of grind. A full flat grind would show it off better”. So I chose the hollow grind in AEB-L in stainless.

He said he could make it the way I originally suggested but I decided to listen to the professional.
ixpsQYI.jpg

That is a good looking Kwaiken!

But ... No specs?!?! :eek:

Overall length, blade length, blade steel, shoe size, etc. ?? :D

I know, I know. I will get the tape measure When I get home today. When I got it the Kwaiken just felt like the perfect size for my intended use. No waisted handle length extending from my palm. I am at work now but here is a pic in the meantime. I wanted it small enough to conceal but big enough to keep the pointy end away and bad guy away from me.

The hollow grind is not only scary but certainly scary sharp.
b5WqNC9.jpg

this is what I asked for in the early communication...”handle from Turks knot to the end of the knife should be no bigger than 4.5” to keep the overall size easily concealable. I do not want a blade cutting edge longer than 4”. I will leave the blade length to your choosing to make it visually appealing to be from 3.5 - 4”.

I realize I only gave a 1/2 “ of length for him to play with but he made it work.

Very impressive. Perfect knife. I've always admired his work. That's one of the few knives I wish I needed, so I would buy one.

Do you know the RC?

Back