1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Finally got around to making a handle for my Gen 1 BK2

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Widerstand, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Widerstand

Widerstand

Feb 23, 2010
    Years and years ago I got a BK2 after I broke two Gerber Big Rock camp knives.

Getting that first Becker in my hand ignited a passion in me for knives and since then I have gone on to build my own knife shop and start making blades myself.

I figured it was about time my BK2 get a proper handle.

The handle is black G10 liner, brown g10 pin strip, and black G10 main handle slab. The pins are stainless along with the lanyard hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tman038

tman038

Dec 21, 2011
    wow... that looks great. very nice job!

3. Cryptyc

Cryptyc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Dude, awesome! That's look great.

4. MezmerizedOne

MezmerizedOne

May 7, 2013
    Beautiful work, about how long did it take from start to finish? Did you do it by hand?

5. B.Mauser

B.Mauser KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 22, 2011
    That really is awesome widerstand! I have never wanted a pinned handle..until now.

6. Jonny1280

Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Fantastic!
    Good to hear from you my man.
    Knife shop? Making blades? Tell me more!

7. Dexwithers

Dexwithers

Mar 27, 2012
    Dang!! Awesome job.

That looks amazing.

8. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    One of THE nicest handles I've seen for a Becker.

9. rayban

rayban

Apr 14, 2007
    Vast improvement, nice job.

10. Widerstand

Widerstand

Feb 23, 2010
    Thank you very much, its sanded to 600grit, I contemplated making it even finer but this thing is super smooth.

Thank you.

Well I did the handle glue up and let it cure for 72 hours, rough cut the handle shapes out and pin and epoxied it to the knife and then waited another 72 hours, then I shaped it on my KMG grinder in about an hour and then did some hand sanding, really about 4-5hours of real work on it.

I really love how with a pinned handle you can get the slabs on a full tang knife to match up perfectly which is something I think might almost be impossible with a bolt on handle.

Well for the past year I have been dumping money into a shop and making knives in whatever free time I get, I haven't been on the Becker forum much cause the shop talk section is taking up a lot of my forum time.

Thank You

Thanks that means a lot since people have really made some great handles for them.

I also tried really hard to match the original dimensions of the stock handles.

11. acerpower

acerpower

Apr 27, 2013
    Very nice!

12. cschol

cschol

Jan 6, 2013
    Sheath, handles and now we hear you make blades.
    If your blades are as nice as your sheaths (I should know) and these handles you are on to sweet gig.

13. abrasion

abrasion

Feb 22, 2011
    Looking good bro!!!

14. The Warrior

The Warrior -Dubzerator- Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    That turned out awesome Wider. :thumbup:

15. NathanJ

NathanJ

Jun 28, 2013
    Wow, I love those scales! Looks absolutely great, amazing work!

16. Aikiguy

Aikiguy

Aug 28, 2013
    Man, those are a great looking set of scales. Awesome job!

17. ironborn

ironborn

Oct 9, 2012
    Nicely done sir, nicely done! Able to bring some of your work down to Beckerwest?

18. Widerstand

Widerstand

Feb 23, 2010
    Thank you!

Yeah I still have a ton to learn but I like to think I am making progress.

Thanks

One thing I really like about making knife handles is that you really can't tell how they will really look until the end when they are all sanded smooth.

Thanks I am big big fan of pin striping.

If I can make it I will.

19. Widerstand

Widerstand

Feb 23, 2010
    Sorry for the horrible phone photos but here is some of the work in progress making these handles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DougB2

DougB2

Jun 6, 2009