1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Finally got some FRN! But it's not an Endura ;)

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by cbrstar, Nov 13, 2018.

1. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL]

I'm having the problem the my local knife store wont price match the Endura as it seems thiers is the last light weight in Canada. @ $127.00.. Well they priced matched Native 5 for $125.00, and the zdp Dragonfly for $103.00 (canadian funds) so I feel like I got two smoking deals on two amazing knives.

The native may end up as a Christmas present. Going to give it try for a couple of days first.
    And the Dragon fly may retire my SAK that ive been carrying around for 28 years as my key chain knife.
    Every Spiderco seems to have some special about it. I really like just about all of them

2. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Both are great FRN choices. Two of my favorites in fact.

cbrstar likes this.
  3. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I love to carry the Dragon with my Endura; a great combo ! (both of mine are ZDP-189 . . . got to be a little careful not to chip that stuff but I love the steel)
    I would pay $127 for my Endura; I like it that much !

cbrstar likes this.
  4. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    $127 isn't bad. It's just I'm a bit thrifty and I've seen them online at other Canadian retailers for a lot less, even as low as $95 Cad. $127 is just at that weird price point where there's a lot of options for only a few extra bucks. For example last week I bought a Pm3 instead of the Endura because it was only $135, and I felt like for $8 more it was quote the upgrade.

5. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    @cbrstar, haven’t you meant to buy that endura on four different occasions now? You always come home with something else. Instead of one Endura, you’ve wound up with a whole collection of Spydies—LOL!!!

Careful with that Native 5 LW. I bought one last year, same as you, intending it for a gift. After giving it away, I’ve missed it ever since. Now I’m contemplating the CF S90V model!

cbrstar likes this.
  6. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    Sorry for the
    LOL Yes! I'm up to 6 Spyderco's now so it's fair to say I'm an addict :D. I really like the Endura so I don't know why other models keeps catching my eye. But I also love a bargain lol

The thing with Spyderco is each model seems to offer a little something the others don't. I've been reading that the S35VN is a little nicer edge retention and easier to sharpen then S30V. But at the same time the PM3's action seems much smoother to deploy. I also think the shape of the handle on the Native makes the FRN feel a little more grippy then the Endura, but that maybe all in my mind.

I also think you have to own and handle a Spyderco to fully "get it". My own experience lately with this is the Dragon Fly. Every time I saw it in the store all I could think was that it was too little and too expensive. Especially the ZDP model (the store originally wanted $141 for it). But now having it at home and killing a few trees by cutting up some paper, I'm actually really chuffed with it, and I can't wait to take it to work and hopefully show it off a bit.

7. 4mer_FMF

Jun 9, 2016
    I’ve gone a little crazy on Spyderco this year myself. :thumbsup:

Do you have anything from Taichung yet? It’s a slippery slope, brother!

cbrstar likes this.
  8. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    Not yet, is there anything in particular you recommend?

9. 4mer_FMF

Jun 9, 2016
    They’re all great. I’ve yet to meet one I haven’t liked loved, and there are even more expected to hit the street soon.

Given the rapidity of your expansion though, I’d recommend enjoying the really excellent Spydies you’ve picked up in the last few weeks. (Yeah, right...you’ve been bitten. Something tells me you won’t be slowing down any time soon.) :p

cbrstar likes this.
  10. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    Err well...These two came in the mail today :D

[​IMG]

Way back when I made my original post about the Tenacious vs the Bryd Cara Cara, a member here messaged me and gave me a good deal on them as a package. Well I thought they had gotten pinched at the border but thankfully they arrived today.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Cara Cara is a Gen 1. It's a excellent knife and I would put it against my CRKT or SOG for quality. But even with the G10 it just doesn't feel as nice as an Endura. I think like others said the FRN handle is much more comfortable. Surprisingly the Tenacious feels kinda nicer at least in the jimping dept, and belt clip.

I'm not sure what I'm going to get next but your right I'm not done yet! :D

4mer_FMF likes this.
  11. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    cbrstar likes this.
  12. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    Congrats on the nice score. Yeah, be careful, the Spydie accumulation can pile up fast. :D

cbrstar likes this.
  13. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    The Sage 1 or Sage 5 would be a good intro into the Taichung models. But as mentioned, they're all top-flight knives, some of Spyderco's best.

cbrstar likes this.
  14. hank_rearden

hank_rearden

Jun 7, 2002
    just a request: DON'T use the zdp Dragonfly as a money clip, as my crazy friend does.

15. cbrstar

Sep 7, 2015
    The Bradley model looks awesome, I would love to see it in person.

The Sage 5 looks like a Native and a Pm2 had a baby. I think its pretty nice and its on the list lol.

...Don't worry I decided to put mine to good use and cut down an entire tree.

[​IMG]

Lol just kidding