Photos Finally...I have all three...EU-17's.

Well Hogs,

It's been a wild ride since I started collecting Bussekin and I'm not slowing down now. The first blade I purchased here 10 years ago was a gorgeous EU-17 Magnum #14 and when it arrived I was smitten. I wanted to chop and slice everything in sight BUT I restrained myself. I wasn't going to mar the finish of my perfect big blade, but I played with it every day and sang it to sleep.

Fast forward to a couple months later and a "friend" came over to drink my beer. While he was pugging away at my precious suds he though it would be a good idea to grab my #14 and flip it around a bit. (Narrator: But it wasn't a good idea...oh no)

So after about 3 seconds he dropped my precious #14 point first into the concrete. I know, I know. The funeral must have been awkward, right? Surprisingly I didn't kill him right then and there, however my perfect #14 lost the very tip 1/16th of the blade and my heart was broken. There was only one thing to do. Lets test this mother loving beast and see what this INFI craze is all about.

Over the next several years I chopped, sliced, pounded, and stabbed everything I could in an effort to break it. It was left outside for weeks after throwing it into an old stump in the front yard. This was the start of the obsession. The INFI showed no signs of dulling, no discoloration, no nothing. I though to myself..."There is something to this steel, it just works." The rest is history.

In my humble opinion, the EU-17 is the perfect knife. The long clip point and relatively narrow blade design makes the weight of the blade perfect, but the real perfection lies in the handle design. No other Bussekin knives have this type of handle...not exactly. There are some that come close. The NO-e and Safari Skinner are two that come to mind. When you handle the EU-17 models you can really feel the ergonomics are just perfect. So I decided to send my poor, abused #14 to the spa... Well, it came back with a brand new hand applied satin finish, and BEAUTIFUL convexed edge (thank you Garth) and a new point (of course), black and red G10 handles with bloodwood scales and mosaic pins. What a stunner! As soon as it came back, I sent it off to Mr. Chad Pirtle for pants and he didn't disappoint with a fabulous left hand dangler. I'm right handed but I carry my knives on the left.

Happiness ensued. I bought so many more knives. I wanted them all, but always my EU-17 was in the back of my mind... there are three sizes you know? Are they all perfect? Where are they? I never saw another EU-17 model for sale again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they have to be one of the rarest Busse's out there, right? I'm not certain, but I think they only made 28 of each of them in a military overrun. I'd love clarification if anyone knows.

A couple of weeks ago I was checking my email and I saw a EU-17 Magnum pop up on AZ Custom Knives of all places. WHAT??? OK, I bought it. Fast forward, it arrives and it's the WRONG KNIFE! What knife was it? Well, it was the EU-17 Standard Edition I guess it would be called. Shorter than the Magnum but longer than the Mini version. Again, I'm not entirely sure about the history of these blades so anyone with facts please respond. I would love to know.

Needless to say I wasn't exactly upset. Now, before it arrived I had spotted ANOTHER EU-17 (the mini) on AZCK so I ordered that too. Well, when I received the wrong blade it begged the question...did they have the EU-17 Magnum? I called them, they're super cool by the way, and yes they had just uploaded the wrong picture. After a couple minutes the guy said he was looking at it. "Well?", I said, "What are you waiting for? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

Finally the Magnum was on it's way and it arrived yesterday, pretty as a picture. Speaking of pictures, here is the family in all their glory.

Top: EU-17 Mini #26 Middle: EU-17 Standard #26 Bottom: EU-17 Magnum #26 and EU-17 Magnum Custom Shop #14 witrh Pirtlemade dangler Sheath
IMG_4743.JPG IMG_4745.JPG
IMG_4747.JPG

I hope you enjoyed my story about my first and favorite of all Busse blade designs. I have never seen three numbered EU-17's in one place at once so if anyone has all three I would love to chat and see pics! Please forgive the dog hair on the blanket, he is a good boy.

Hope I've made all you Hogs green with envy... and no, they're not for sale!

Happy Thanksgiving, you guys.

Ha! I enjoyed the story. Good job getting the full set!

The EU17 magnum has tipped the scales for me as well. The ratweiler-esque handle is just so familiar to my hand and I can chop like a mofo with it. It is my perfect blade. It's not even a question.

Shout out to @ragnerok. I hope you are well, brother..

That was fun to read as I was thinking about what I would have done to one of my buddies, lol. But only the best of friends get to handle the special blades, just hope he supplied the brews for awhile !

Thanks for sharing and it really is a beautiful set, #14 is stunning !

Nice set Dangerneck, and that refurb is a real beauty!

I like the back story on them too, thanks for sharing the history and the love. I feel the same way about the Heavy Hearts. That was what really got me going kind of like you and the EU's. I had two of the first run of 100 back in '06, and a HOGFSH, which is my version of your now custom number. The history here is part of what makes these more than just knives.

Now get out there and start beating on those babies !!!

Winston

Excellent story! The EU -17 Magnum(dont have the mini or the standard) and the BIBB are to me , the most perfect Busse's.
So you were my fellow raider of the EU -17's on AZCK!

Excellent story! The EU -17 Magnum(dont have the mini or the standard) and the BIBB are to me , the most perfect Busse's.
So you were my fellow raider of the EU -17's on AZCK!

YES! You got the user? I hope you use it because it's unquestionably the finest knife design ever. I think the history behind them is that they were designed with input from international groups of Special Forces teams, who will remain nameless.

Nice set Dangerneck, and that refurb is a real beauty!

I like the back story on them too, thanks for sharing the history and the love. I feel the same way about the Heavy Hearts. That was what really got me going kind of like you and the EU's. I had two of the first run of 100 back in '06, and a HOGFSH, which is my version of your now custom number. The history here is part of what makes these more than just knives.

Now get out there and start beating on those babies !!!

Winston
I want to, but I'm gonna keep these pristine. The Heavy Hearts are excellent blades. Thanks for the props!

No, the user was 16. I got 11, with the sheath.
I am mentally going over the number of Busse's that I have. I think I have a problem.

Wait, all three EU-17's are #26??!!!!! That is so cool, and probably unique.

Great story, but then again, that is one heck of a set, and that custom is the crown jewel.

Nice to complete a set goal. I'll get one of those someday. Probably the middle one. But don't yawl be concerned. I have plenty of other Bussekin to make up for it.

Great set, and great story!

I scored an EU-17 standard years ago. Loved the handle, certainly a huge improvement over the regular SHE handle. That led me to searching for one of the elusive EU Uncle MoFo, another great blade.

Great set! The offerings.from Busse came not all at once but over time. Unique to these knives Jerry gave the opportunity to request specific numbers. I have complete
set of number 9.

Back