Finally stripped and clothed the BK29 with an odd patina.

nordicsniper

Gold Member
I haven't posted any of my patinas or mirror polishes in a while, but I found a new way to make an odd, brushstroke appearance with this specific type of patina. I may not keep it, though. What do you guys think?
ublnydJ.jpg
jjSS5Hj.jpg
fHaFULo.jpg
U6RvauF.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take pics of the process, but I will gladly do it with another blade and take some photographs. It takes a while but the entire process/hobby has been a good calm in life's storms.

That’s one sick looking knife!
Jonny1280 approves.

Thanks gentlemen, I really appreciate it.
For the stripping, I have been using Klean Strip lately (spray can). Just a heads up- it burns.
Turns out, I do have some pics of the process that didn't even know I took...sleep deprivation at it's finest. I'll post them and explain the process in my next post.

Initially, I strip the blade down with the spray, find heavy duty cleaning gloves, and then remove the coating with coarse steel wool until I have to take a break from the burn. Using steel wool to remove the coating gives a more well-rounded look for the steel:
ijLjLJd.jpg

Next, I boil or microwave apple cider vinegar and pour it into a glass vase big enough for the blade to be fully submerged.
Leave the blade in the hot vinegar for approx 30mins in the beginning, then every 10 minutes for a few hours, run the blade under cool water and place it back inside the vinegar. When the vinegar begins to cool off, remove blade and reheat.
gkKW4me.jpg

Hang the blade to dry, gently wipe down with a cloth and remove the loose, very black top layer of patina, then repeat this process once or twice more.

Q480e8S.jpg

After repeating this process, instead of hanging it to dry, lightly take your finger and make brushstrokes on both sides of the blade and blow cool air to quickly but gently make it dry.
aeIaYuc.jpg

Do these steps however number of times you like to get the blade to your liking. Use softer steel wool to blend ridges and to remove orange rust.
Modify to your liking and have fun with it.
kCQOoJ2.jpg

I like it and thanks for the tutorial. I just gave this blade to my brother for a retirement gift after 35 years in Law Enforcement. I might have to try it out on some of my Beckers which is minus one BK 29 at the moment.

I really appreciate the compliments, gentlemen. I just got finished with a brandished patina on a BK11 with some vine file work on the spine that I may try and post soon.

Back