1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 3 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Busse Combat Custom Shop Flak Jack, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 19!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Finding the Floyd Otter Tree - #3 Giant Sequoia

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by lambertiana, May 29, 2012.

1. tman038

tman038 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2011
    great thread and photos. thanks for taking us along. i would love to go someday.

2. notajerryskid

notajerryskid Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2013
    WOW!!! Great pics! Thank you!

3. Lenier

Lenier

Jul 17, 2017
    I recently took a trip to find these trees, using just basic information to guide me. I do not think I successfully found either tree, and now I think it was due to following the incorrect stream up the hill.

Lambertiana, would you happen to still have that grove map available? I very much would love to acquire a copy!

4. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Lenier - You are not set up for me to message or email directly to you. Give me your information and I will send you a copy of the map with a description how to find the trees.

5. Lenier

Lenier

Jul 17, 2017
    I sent you a private message on High Sierra Topix, as I don't have a membership here and don't plan on purchasing one. Thanks for any help!

6. RobertJackson

RobertJackson

Jul 4, 2018
    I can't resist myself. I'm coming to hike in this area. The trees and the view are so beautiful. Any precautions to be taken in the current season?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. batosai117

batosai117 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Awesome blast from the past. Following for updates.

jmh33 likes this.
  8. lambertiana

Jul 7, 2000
    Just the normal precautions for that trail. Lots of poison oak in the lower portion that crowds the trail and is difficult to avoid. And ticks, too. I would not recommend this for mid-summer because the trail starts at 3600' and it will be quite hot.

9. RobertJackson

RobertJackson

Jul 4, 2018
    Thank you SO much for your tips. Will plan in winters, but hike in this area, I definitely will! :)

10. lambertiana

Jul 7, 2000
    Winter is fine, but just make sure that it is before the snow comes. The big trees are above 7000' elevation, and in wet winters the snow can be 10' deep there. In dry winters you might have little snow. The best time to visit this grove is in the fall (October) or in the spring before it gets hot, late April to early May.

Before you go let me know and I can send you detailed information so that you can find these trees.

11. DirkBianchi

DirkBianchi

Jan 10, 2019
    Sorry to bother you lambertiana, but is March fine to visit the grove? I'll be in the area in mid-March, and want to visit. Also, can I too expect information from you so that I can find these trees?

12. lambertiana

Jul 7, 2000
    March would be OK if we do not get a lot of snow this year. The grove is on a north-facing slope so the snow lingers longer there. Check back at the end of February. And I can send you directions when you decide to go. PM me then.

13. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Mother Nature is amazing. Thank you for the photos. I feel as though I was there.