Photos Finetuning a couple of Condors

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by kwackster, May 19, 2019.

1. Beastchopper

Beastchopper Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Thanks, all good to know. I probably wouldn't have attempted it without input from you guys. If I do ever get time to get it going, I'll post up pictures, disaster or not.

2. Beastchopper

Beastchopper Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2018
    http://imgur.com/gallery/LpzPeoo
    I didn't take off as much plastic, but a little bit of contouring makes a big difference. It feels good in the hand, but I'll have to put it to work before I know for sure. I hit one spot with a little torch lighter for just a second but it smelled really bad for a long while. My Mora Companion was useful for digging out some of the index finger groove. If only I could shave off carbon steel so easily. I still have some fat, obtuse edged Condor machete blades to reprofile.

3. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    That's looking much better already :)
    I also tend to work in relatively small increments, and handle/use the parang/machete i'm working on often to avoid taking off too much material.

What works well & relatively fast for hand reprofiling obtuse edges on machetes is either a good quality basterd file or a coarse diamond file.
    Especially a diamond file works quite fast because in contrast to a steel basterd file it can cut in all directions so you can use scrubbing motions, which speeds up the work quite a bit.

Examples:

On this Cold Steel Black Bear machete i reprofiled & sharpened the factory edge as well as the swedge to an arm hair shaving sharp ~30 degrees inclusive edge with just a 120 grit diamond file i got from E-Bay:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

And on this Cold Steel Magnum Kukri machete i reprofiled the existing edge and made a sharpened back edge, both @ ~30 degrees inclusive with the same 120 grit diamond file:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Beastchopper likes this.