FINISH ON BASIC #9

Hi guys was wondering how the black finish on the basic #9 holds up to chopping and rope cutting.

Hi Ryan....

I've been using my #7 quite a bit,, and I really like the way the coating has been coming off..
It's pretty tough stuff, but on one area on the left side of the blade it looks like it has been polished down to the metal...

I expected it to happen but not in this way.
I prefer it to wear like this rather than chipping or scratching it's way down to the metal...

alot better than some other finishes I have seen...

ttyle Eric...

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel
Custom,Quality, Concealex Sheaths.

Leading The Way In Synthetic Sheathing.

It is about as durable as the coatings that Ontario uses on their spec plus blades, basically a session of chopping will produce some wear. Livesays's coating is a similar type but more durable, probably because it sticks to the 1095 easier. ABout 500 chops with a RCM showed no coating wear at all. Reeves Kalgard is much more durable again, it takes many sessions of chopping to see wear. At about 2000 chops I finally saw a grey line wearing along the top of the primary grind. About the most durable are the Nitride coating that Mission uses and the Hard Chrome that McClung does. They are much harder than wood and will not easily wear away. It takes hard contacts off of metals and rock to break them off.

I have not used the Ceramic based coating that Busse offers on the full INFI line. I would imagine though that it is in the Nitride class.

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 08-02-2000).]

Back