Finishing Ironwood Question

I'm looking to finish an ironwood knife this weekend. This is my first time using this wood. I'm curious as to how you prefer to finish your ironwood. Pictures are always nice too! Thank you in advance.

(I've put TruOil on a few wood scaled projects and I'm not so sure it that is the right approach for this one. Its left a lot to be desired out of nicer material. I'm sure that's user error on my part most likely. Any pointers would be much appreciated.)

hand sand as high as you have. Use a set of micro mesh pads for a *whow*
It realy doesn't take that much time

Wear a REALLY good mask with fine filters... The dust is toxic to some but a definite lung irritant and wear long sleeves. Ask me how I know this
It will finish mirror on it's own with a 1200-2000 grit and a Very light buff with Pink scratchless or White diamond rouge
You can hand buff as said Heavy buff and it will burn the wood

Wear a REALLY good mask with fine filters... The dust is toxic to some but a definite lung irritant and wear long sleeves. Ask me how I know this
It will finish mirror on it's own with a 1200-2000 grit and a Very light buff with Pink scratchless or White diamond rouge
You can hand buff as said Heavy buff and it will burn the wood
This^^^ I got a sinus infection from working Ironwood many years ago. Use a good respirator and blow the dust outta your shop..

I use a lot of ironwood. I hand sand to 600 and then switch to the 3M polishing papers: 1200, 1800 and then 4000. Light buffing with pink scratchless. Then a couple coats of Mother's carnuba car wax.

EY9nLSS.jpg

JCurwQ4.jpg

Umv7V0s.jpg

RVSdS5u.jpg

lLoutv9.jpg

HEFnFYa.jpg

Back