Finishing Micarta scales

it's a sanding gel, made of aluminum oxide, and you squirt it onto a foam pad then polish your handles.

Taz,

Whew! I was wondering how you get a smooth finish on your handles with a piece of leather after finishing to 60 grit! I was thinking you must be really good!
biggrin.gif

------------------
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:23

[This message has been edited by Ryan Meyering (edited 03-01-2000).]

Taz,

I just tried your suggestion (yes, I knew it was a typo, but forgot to mention it) on my dad's home-made kitchen knives handle, made of wood, and it works... cool..
smile.gif

Magnum,

I see.. where can we get those??
Any brand name in mind?

Dan

I saw my post and started laughing. I could see one of you guys trying this and the leather would be smoking and the arm would be numb. I figured I would post again cuz it would show up as a new post and not just an edit, so hopefully people would see it. My parents don't let me spend too much $$ on equipment, so I was trying to figure out how to buff a handle without buying a wheel, buffer, rouge, etc. I saw that leather lying on a workbench, and remembered about stropping and everything, so I tried it out and it worked. I think I will go to K Mart and buy a thick leather belt, hit Sears for some rouge and do handles that way. Then I could put the blade in a vice, wrap the leather belt around the handle and pull on both ends of the belt and be able to buff faster rather than try using a scrap of leather. Hopefully my parents will let me pend that much $$.

Back