Finnish broad axe, new haft and hang

This Finnish broad axe has been seen in my What is it? thread from a little while ago. Here is the link if you want to see what it looked like before I started. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/988109-What-is-it Here it is now.

Picture-027_zpsb4403d04.jpg

This was my great grandfathers broad axe and it was made by his grandfather on his mother's side back on the west coast of Finland, Swedes in Finland. I don't know exactly when it was forged but my great grandfather was born in 1886 and immigrated to the USA in 1906. I do know it was given to him before he left for America. I also don't know the story of the haft that was on it but it was marked with an "A" on the butt of the swell. This "A" would stand for Anders, my great grandfather, as he carved his initials on all his tools. He most likely carved it before he came to America because the other tools of his that I have seen are marked with "AN" which stands for Andrew Nyland, the name he took when he came to America.

Picture-016.jpg

This being my first ever attempt at making a haft for an axe I decided that repairing the old one would be a good way to start getting a feel for what needed to be done. The swell was broken and needed to be glued. I also decided to fill the nail holes and spots where material was missing at the butt end of the handle. I used cascophen, a resorcinol formaldehyde adhesive, to glue and fill as I like the color and properties of that glue. I am pretty happy with how it turned out even though I can't quite get the gloss and darkness of the untouched parts of the haft. I used many layers of boiled linseed oil going gradually from 2 parts thinner up to pure BLO. I suspect that many years of palm sweat, dirt, pitch and coffee stains are what is needed give it that old patina.

Picture-049.jpg

Picture-055.jpg

Picture-060.jpg

Having finished the repair I gleaned a chunk of rock maple off my cabinet maker brother in-law. I figured that rather than try to find and buy a piece of birch I would do what any Swede would do and use whatever we had that was best suited for the job. Using the old handle as a template I roughed out the shape using the bandsaw and table belt sander. Fitted the haft to the eye using a utility knife (sometimes just the blades for scrapers), a 3/4" chisel and sandpaper. It took about 14 hours from start to finished haft, 6hrs to get it close and another 8hrs to fine tune the fit and shape the rest of the haft. Who in their right mind makes a lug(?) that is tappered and curved and then puts a slight bevel on both sides??? Oh and lets throw a notch in there at the shoulder too just for fun???

Picture-021_zpscd36f88c.jpg

Picture-019_zpsd7b4be20.jpg

It was a challenge to say the least. Here is the finished haft with the old one and the axe head.

Picture-013_zps5e9dfd26.jpg

Picture-012_zps9c0dda4d.jpg

In the spirit of tradition I felt compelled to carve my initial "K" for Ken into the butt.

Picture-015_zps01a07161.jpg

Hanging it was pretty straight forward once the haft was fitted, no wedge required. I just mixed 2 parts thinner with one part boiled linseed oil and coated the end of the haft that slips into the eye. While wet I tapped it in nice and tight like with a white rubber mallet. I let the whole head of the axe soak in that 2 to 1 solution for 2 days. I am hoping it won't dry out and fall off anytime soon.

Picture-045.jpg

I tried to select the best possible grain orientation for the shape of the haft. It curves with the belly and kinks at the swell. I think this piece of wood was just waiting for me to come along and shape it into this haft.

Picture-036-1.jpg

Picture-037.jpg

Picture-035.jpg

The shoulder still feels a little "chunky" and square. I might thin it out sometime soon but will probably wait till after I give it a go at hewing a little something.

Picture-046.jpg

Picture-048.jpg

23 1/2" is the overall length as thats what it was to start with. From what I could gather from the internets (which wasn't much) this is a "small" Finnish broad axe used for smoothing the wood thats been rough hewn with a large Finnish broad axe. At roughly 5lbs its quite heavy for finish hewing. I am thinking that it is intended to be used by letting gravity do the work in a straight down motion rather than being swung.

Picture-039.jpg

Picture-040.jpg

Any advice about how to properly use this tool would be appreciated. Also, any knowledge or history about why the Finns and Swedes in Finland would shape a broad axe like this would be interesting too. My uncle mumbled something about bog iron and meteorites one day while talking to him about the axe.

Thanks for looking at a piece of my family history. I look forward to using it to carve out alaia type surfboards from western red cedar planks that I plan on splitting out of some logs that will come from my parents property. I can't wait to give this Finnish broad axe a go!

Just to make this thread a little better, here is a pic of my dog Murphy taken right after I finished shaping the haft. He was helping.

Picture-519.jpg

This Finnish broad axe has been seen in my What is it? thread from a little while ago. Here is the link if you want to see what it looked like before I started. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/988109-What-is-it Here it is now.

Picture-039.jpg

Thanks for looking at a piece of my family history. I look forward to using it to carve out alaia type surfboards from western red cedar planks that I plan on splitting out of some logs that will come from my parents property. I can't wait to give this Finnish broad axe a go!

Just to make this thread a little better, here is a pic of my dog Murphy taken right after I finished shaping the haft. He was helping.

What a fantastic labor of love. You sure did a great job on that haft. A true family keepsake.

Double Ott

Niiiiiice Billnäs axe and cracking job at the re-hafting.

I have been telling my older bro he must get his Finnish girlfriend's pa to find me a Billnäs for a Crimbo present.

Beautiful work on the new haft, and a beautiful polish-by-use on the old one. Your ancestors must be proud of you.
You're right about letting the weight do the work with these. And if you miss a stroke you don't tense up and stop it, you let it fall to arms length before recovering it.
beautiful head, too of course.
I just noticed it isn't flat on one side like an American broad axe or hewing hatchet. Interesting.

First of all you did an amazing restoration of the original handle. Major kudos.
bow.gif

A family heirloom like that deserved nothing less. Full marks!

That new handle was one heck of an undertaking. As a fellow woodworker I can appreciate the hours of labor necessary to do a job like that. The replacement handle is exceptional. It truly does look like you found the best handle possible inside that piece of wood. It's a work of art - a sculpture.

Red cedar is a good choice for a hewing project. It hews very nicely, especially if you can get it while it's still green.

To my eye the edge profile looks a little thick for hewing. It would be better if it were a chisel grind, IMO. But I'm sure your great grandfather was a more experienced hewer than I and I trust that this tool will do well.

I wondered what ever became of that axe after reading your earlier thread. I'm so glad you followed up on this. Your work is an inspiration.
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

First thing i noticed is the clean head and then your choice of wood grain.
It looks brand new, should i say so!

Lovely axe there mate. Do let us know how it feels after hewing.
This makes me tickled to even think of getting one from John Neeman.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Now, I need a new project and that drawknife that I found in my parents garage isn't inspiring me yet. Would really like to get my hands on one of them Finnish forestry axes. Those look fun! A Peugot Sound pattern would be neat too.

I will have to show my uncle what I have done with the Finnish broad axe and maybe he will let go of the shipwrights adze and single beveled broad axe that he is holding onto. Although, those probably only need to be cleaned up a little and sharpened. He might have a knife project or two that he would like to see finished though. Hmm...

wow!! thats some great work you done there :thumbup:
that is one of the nicest and intresting axes i have seen:D
well done;)

That's a truly impressive restoration. What's the purpose of the reverse taper eyes I see in old European hewing axes? There must be some advantage to it, but I can't see what it is. A regular taper with a wedge seems like it would be more secure and definitely easier to re-haft.

that IS really impressive. quite a complicated handle to make, and you replicated it perfectly.

as for the reverse taper, I always figured that it was just the way they were made initially and there just was never really any compelling reason to change it. with such a long eye (what with the metal coming 1/3 of the way down the handle), if you have a relatively snug fit, that head just ain't going anywhere. it's not like you really swing this kind of axe like you do a chopper.

I hope you do get those other tools from your uncle. surely, after he sees this, he'll know you'll do the family proud.

-ben

I know this a fairly old thread, but I've gotta say that is a beautiful axe! I'm restoring an old broad axe myself, which led me here. Mine's not an elegant European style, just a big clunky American style. I've been watching everything I can find about broad axes and hewing though, over on youtube. There is an amazing video titled "Traditional Finnish Log House Building Process" in which they use tools like yours extensively. It's totally in Finnish, and I can't understand a single word, but if you watch it, you'll see why it doesn't matter. Watching these craftsmen work is completely engrossing. I love the "mallets" they are using!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3J5wkJFJzE

Pardon the Lazarus thread...

I'm doing some research on Finnish axes as I have a "new" Finnish broad axe project. Not quite a Billnas like this one...anyway, CedarEater, if you happen to see this I wanted to tell you again that this axe is really something. Your work on that haft if fantastic.

Have you had any chances to put it to use?

Beautiful work! It's one thing to shave an even taper onto handle for an axe eye, it's quite another to custom carve an exact fit for a socket. Well done!

Back