Photos Fire fighting with a knife

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Currawong, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Currawong

Currawong Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 19, 2012
    What has your daughter's response to the fires been?

2. Jerry Busse

Jerry Busse Moderator Moderator

Aug 20, 1999
    Yowza!!!

Amazing pics and narrative. I am anxious to share this with my kids as well. There was, at one point in your narrative, this overwhelming sense of the ground burning under your feet that had me feeling like your next change in direction could be your last.

Excellent!

Stay safe,

Jerry

3. honorearth

honorearth Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Great photos and walkthrough as always man. Nice work and thanks for the in depth experience.

WatermanChris likes this.
  4. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Great write-up as usual @Currawong!

We love the stories and pics! Thanks and stay safe and well armed. :thumbsup::cool:

5. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    Definitely stay vigilant and safe!;):thumbsup:

6. lmcq784

lmcq784 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2010
    She's been asking lots of questions, feeling bad for everything lost, but appreciating the power of nature. She's just shy of 5 years old...

Currawong likes this.
  7. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Kids are awesome! You can learn so much from trying to explain things to them and the way they see things is so different from us adults.

lmcq784 likes this.
  8. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Wow man.. amazing. I think that photo of the fern with the new green growth on it is a powerful statement. It just says there is hope like only the power of nature can.
    I always wondered too, what ever happened to your little pet wombat? little fella still around pooping in your yard or go looking for someone with better beer?

Currawong likes this.
  9. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    It just disappeared one day. But that's what they tend to do. Once they reach the juvenile stage they disperse to find their own territory. It may well be still on the property, or the property next door, or even a few kilometres away.

ScoMa, Leonardo63 and lmcq784 like this.
  10. Equipped4life

Equipped4life Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2015
    @Currawong thank you for taking the time to take the pictures and do the write up of your hike and for showing us the terrible devastation! I wonder how that echidna survived.

You've had some brilliant photo posts and write-ups over the last couple of years as well.

Is this the same rainforest that you posted about here https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/another-trip-to-the-forest.1639860/ ?

Stay safe

E4L

lmcq784 likes this.
  11. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    Thanks ! Yep that's the same area of forest, those two valleys are quite near each other.

12. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I really appreciate you sharing these pics and narrative. Fantastic and also humbling.

Stay safe!

lmcq784 likes this.
  13. RobStanley

RobStanley Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Awesome pics and narrative mate. It's humbling to see the extent of the burnt areas and how far the fire got into the rainforest. The smouldering sods are testament to how hot the fire was. Here's hoping to more rain and cooler weather.

lmcq784 likes this.
  14. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    @Currawong Hey Brother! How's things going down under? how's relief efforts going? I've been sharing all your photos with friends and family and everyone has been floored by the devastation when I posted some of your previous hiking pics and the aftermath of the fires. I know a few have done some donations that way which were my hopes for doing it, just spreading the word can sometimes do the most good. I think most were shocked by the extent and level of destruction and who doesn't have their heart strings tugged on with the koalas and Roo's ya know. I've got an aunt that is kind of a wild and crazy soul that really got into the bats, thought it was really cool. They also really got into the strange critters you folks have and of course the wombat was a sensational hit with everyone. Even the little ant eating pin cushion was fawned over quite a bit. That same aunt is part of a quilter group and she has some web friends from Aussie that she said lost everything and were living in shelters trying to figure out what to do next like a lot of folks are. she was pretty well informed as far as her friends go but seeing actual pictures really hit home for her.
    We know it just doesn't end one day and all is normal so just thinking about you my friend. Best wishes.

lmcq784 likes this.
  15. sixplymaple

sixplymaple Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2018
    As sad as it is, it’s also beautiful. Seeing small hints of life emerging from the ash is inspiring.

Mother nature will be here long after us humans...

lmcq784 and Leonardo63 like this.
  16. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    Yeah so true. Those couple photos of the new fern growth were more than just a picture, they were a testament to nature and her resiliency. I think also to some extent, the resiliency of people and how we take what comes and begin again because end of the day, we have no choice beyond giving up? and that's just not what we do, we rebound, like nature. Very powerful pictures that finally brought a sense of hope to it all. My sister says I'm getting all soft and sentimental in my later years~ I had to laugh at that because yeah, after a while you realize what is really important in life, and it's not what you think when you are young stupid and don't know shit about nothing when you thought you knew it all LOL!

lmcq784 and sixplymaple like this.
  17. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    There are still a bunch of big fires rattling around the landscape, including new ones that have sprung up. It's going to be a long Summer !!

There is a bit of anger and angst in the community at the moment about whether funds donated to big charities are actually being released in a timely manner. The charities say it's hard to manage a hundred million+ dollars very quickly and they have admin costs etc. etc. I'm sure there's a bit of truth on both sides. Generally speaking donations to RFS, wildlife charities are going to get where they should be going fast, the others may take a little longer.

There's also a lot of concern about wildlife at the moment, because basically all the habitat for some species was burnt, nothing was left untouched. There's a real possibility some species could go extinct from these fires.

But speaking of supporting the community, the absolute best thing anyone can do is go to these places and spend money on local businesses. That's what is keeping everyone going right now. So you all should book holidays down here now !!! :cool: I'll show you around when you get here :):thumbsup:

lmcq784 likes this.
  18. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    Also anyone who has booked a holiday in Wuhan Province should change their tickets to Australia right now !! :D

Leonardo63 and sixplymaple like this.
  19. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    ^^^ Good idea!:D

20. Thorz113

Thorz113

Apr 24, 2014
    These are great pics, thank you very much for sharing!