fire roll is simple, when you have rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
from the shovel and a strip of cotton shemagh. sand all of the paint off of the shovel (while still at home, dummy) and apply a coat of iodine every day. In a couple of weeks, you'll have lots of rust on the ferrule. When you arrive at your drop off location, make a quickie little dry bag (using the tape and the tarp chunks) for the rust, which you scrape off of the shovels' ferrule. Make another little bag for your tinder, and another, larger one for your kindlng and charred wood.

If your plan involves damaging your tool with surface rust, that's a bad plan. Also, make some quick bags, definitely the most important thing to do when getting dropped off on Vancouver Island, definitely not finding a suitable shelter spot, a water source, and scouting for edibles. Those can wait. Gotta scrape rust off my shovel first.

I am not watching these Youtube videos.

OH! Almost forgot. So, you're out there on the island, you've scraped the rust off your shovel, got your little baggie of rust (which by the way, doesn't function the same as magnesium, sorry LOL), so now how do you stop your shovel from rusting further?

LOL Please stop with the Youtube video knowhow. It's terrible.

takes 2 minutes per bag, big deal. Also, they haven't been on vancouver Island for 3 years now, dummy. Water is not a problem at all on VI, you can't dig a hole anywhere 2 ft deep on that island that wont fill up with water. they average 12 inches of rain per MONTH. It rains nearly every day, so your tarp will collect water. Your ignorance is showing badly, dude. There are no edibles to scout for. That's been well proven. You just starve doing that. the tarp lean to is set up in one hour. Make netting. You have access to every fish in the sea when you're on VI.

takes 2 minutes per bag, big deal. Also, they haven't been on vancouver Island for 3 years now, dummy. Water is not a problem at all on VI, you can't dig a hole anywhere 2 ft deep on that island that wont fill up with water. they average 12 inches of rain per MONTH. It rains nearly every day, so your tarp will collect water. Your ignorance is showing badly, dude. There are no edibles to scout for. That's been well proven. You just starve doing that. the tarp lean to is set up in one hour. Make netting. You have access to every fish in the sea when you're on VI.

Virtually everything said here is objectively incorrect, which you would know if you'd watched any seasons of this show.

Virtually everything said here is objectively incorrect, which you would know if you'd watched any seasons of this show.
put your money where your mouth is, punk. I bet $10,000 to your $1000 that I can do everything that i've said. Put up or shut up.

Rust is not flammable. If it was, every car in Detroit would be a rolling fire hazard.

Magnesium is.

Rust (Iron Oxide) mixed with aluminum powder (ground to around 45 microns) will give you thermite which will burn at ~4000°F, emit UV radiation and will damage your eyes if you look at. It also takes about 3000° to get thermite to even ignite.

Magnesium will ignite at a much lower temp than thermite. That's why it's preferred in fire making over thermite.

Rust is not flammable. If it was, every car in Detroit would be a rolling fire hazard.

Magnesium is.

Rust (Iron Oxide) mixed with aluminum powder (ground to around 45 microns) will give you thermite which will burn at ~4000°F, emit UV radiation and will damage your eyes if you look at. It also takes about 3000° to get thermite to even ignite.

Magnesium will ignite at a much lower temp than thermite. That's why it's preferred in fire making over thermite.

Aw man, you spoiled the fun. I didn't have the heart to tell him that rolled up pieces of shemagh would burn just as well without having rust rubbed on it, because shemaghs tend to be made of cotton (which is flammable). Now he's learned something. Ah well!

Aw man, you spoiled the fun. I didn't have the heart to tell him that rolled up pieces of shemagh would burn just as well without having rust rubbed on it, because shemaghs tend to be made of cotton (which is flammable). Now he's learned something. Ah well!

It was more for anyone that might be curious because of the thread title. I doubt I can change the OP's mind about anything. :D

I just don't want some knife knut taking his kids out in the woods with some 2X4's, a rusty shovel and some tampons thinking he's going to impress his kids then dance around the bonfire like Tom Hanks in Castaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back