Firecrafter FC5

I’ve been shopping for a camp knife for a little bit and thought I had decided on the Benchmade Bushcrafter 162 but the sheath looked kinda pathetic. Just as I was about to buy it and order a different sheath I stumbled upon the White River Firecrafter FC5. Better steel, much better sheath (in leather) a little bigger blade and oh so sexy shape, and a nice grippy handle. But, I’m a lefty and emails to support about a lefty sheath went into the void so I was a little apprehensive, combined with the scarcity of inventory online (specifically with the leather sheath) it wasn’t looking good. Then I found one at knifeart and decided to bite the bullet.

It arrived today! Beautiful presentation and Gorgeous knife! It feels like the perfect size. I think I’ll try to order the kydex sheath as well (if it can be switched to lefty) now so I can use it more places. I can’t wait to try it out!

YyBANMb_d.webp

I saw this one in a review. I’m lusting over it. Cannot get myself to spend the money. Looking for a cheaper alternative. Please keep me posted on your impressions.

I was pretty sold on the Benchmade Bushcrafter but I wasn’t impressed with the sheath and found an aftermarket sheath that looked great, but that drives the overall price up another $120-$150+. Then I just happened to see the Firecrafter and fell in love with the shape, the leather sheath, the included ferro rod and the S35VN steel and after reading a few reviews decided I’d give it a go. I also like that the blade is just a little bit bigger than the Benchmade. I have a soft spot for Micarta and although I wish it were just a little darker green, it’s very comfortable and attractive as it is and will probably darken with age. It came shaving sharp right out of the box. I probably won’t get a chance to really use it for a couple more months (to cold and snowy here) but I don’t expect to be disappointed. I did at least try it out with the ferro rod and it works beautifully. Whoever made this knife was really attentive to details. The spine of the blade is sharp in just the right places and the edges are softer where you would want it to be. I can’t imagine someone not liking this knife. If you can afford it (it was a little more than I would like to spend too) I don’t think you’ll be disappointed either.

yMs6JY5_d.webp

That’s a great looking knife sir.
The handles should darken a little with use.
Congrats.
Thanks. It’s strange, I’m not playing with it all day like I have with other toys. I pick it up and it just feels like I’ve always had it. It’s so comfortable and natural in my hand that I just don’t feel the need to reassure myself by constantly fidgeting with it. It’s shaving sharp, so I don’t need to sharpen it, the sheath is fantastic, I don’t even need to oil it. I’ve literally got nothing to do with it right now but be content in the knowledge that I have a bush knife ready and waiting for me to need it. It’s pretty cool actually.

I know the feeling that you speak of.
You will occasionally get it out just to look at it, but you won’t look long because it’s just….right. You already seem to know it, like you’ve had it forever. There’s nothing to get use to.

I was pretty sold on the Benchmade Bushcrafter but I wasn’t impressed with the sheath and found an aftermarket sheath that looked great, but that drives the overall price up another $120-$150+. Then I just happened to see the Firecrafter and fell in love with the shape, the leather sheath, the included ferro rod and the S35VN steel and after reading a few reviews decided I’d give it a go. I also like that the blade is just a little bit bigger than the Benchmade. I have a soft spot for Micarta and although I wish it were just a little darker green, it’s very comfortable and attractive as it is and will probably darken with age. It came shaving sharp right out of the box. I probably won’t get a chance to really use it for a couple more months (to cold and snowy here) but I don’t expect to be disappointed. I did at least try it out with the ferro rod and it works beautifully. Whoever made this knife was really attentive to details. The spine of the blade is sharp in just the right places and the edges are softer where you would want it to be. I can’t imagine someone not liking this knife. If you can afford it (it was a little more than I would like to spend too) I don’t think you’ll be disappointed either.

yMs6JY5_d.webp

I found one on Ebay. Im eagerly awaiting its arrival tomorrow. Ill be comparing it to my Benchmade 15010 Bone Collector. I cant wait.

Is it the Kydex or leather sheath? I got the leather one but I want to buy the Kydex as well, just curious how it feels. The knife is really nice, you’re gonna like it.

Is it the Kydex or leather sheath? I got the leather one but I want to buy the Kydex as well, just curious how it feels. The knife is really nice, you’re gonna like it.
Mine is coming with the Kydex sheath. Maybe we could work out a trade?

Oh I wanted the leather, I just want the Kydex also. I’ll use the leather for camping and the Kydex for fishing, maybe. I don’t want fish bait to stink up the Micarta handle. I’ve gotta do a little more research on the absorbency of Micarta before I commit to using it that way.

Back