Firesteel vs Magnesium Block

They are both essentially the same as stated above... the only thing I can say is that in extreme cold the glue on the magstick lets go everytime. Throw it in the freezer and give it a try you'll send your ferro across the room! I put a few windings of 1/2 width duct tape around the mag and ferro where I hold it.... actually, I just stopped using the mag block totally.... get educated on tinder prep.... it's everywhere.

Rick

Mag,

Can you start the educaton of tinder prep. I know I could use a few tips, especially for cold or wet weather.

I know about splitting logs to get to the dry stuff. Are the other types of tinder that can be obtained wet?

Thanks
Chris

Scrape the Mg block onto a piece of duct tape (that you should have in your PSK) sticky side up and you never have to worry about the scrapings flying off.

Here's a great link for usin' flint and steel.

how to use a flint and steel

Thanks for the link, I'm expecting my pieces of English flint to arrive today. I already made my own striker and hopefully its hard enough to get sparks.

Back on topic-

I prefer ferro rods over the mag block and i pretty much consider the magnesium portion of the block useless. You have to scrape off a good deal of magnesium to have it blown all over the place. I have extracted the ferro rods from the blocks and made some mini ferro rods out of them. They are also heavier than a regular ferro rod.

how is fatwood in regards to water? I've never used it but I imagine if there is enough resin in it it might be practically waterproof. In which case, I definately like your idea of gluing a piece to a ferro rod.

I've posted this already in a different thread, but...I soaked a piece of fatwood in water. It was completely immersed for six hours. I shook the water off, scrapped a pile of tinder, and hit it with some ferro rod sparks. It lit right up.

Hello, just thought I'd share that a piece of hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off will throw a shower of sparks on the ferro rod as well as shave the mag side easily.
Good Luck

I have tried all the methods here of stopping the mag from scattering - but in all honesty the amount of flames you get doesnt equal the time it took. I tried the duct tape idea but the entire lot went cartwheeling across my backyard. I dug a hole but the soil was damp so when i lit the mag (eventually) the tinder i placed on the damp soil just kept smoldering. And seeing as the mag only burns for a few seconds it doesnt dry out the ground around that small spot fast enough.
So then i tryed laying some dry twigs on the ground then putting a leaf on top and scraping the mag onto that. But this was the same with the tape.
Best way is still the PJ cotton ball - if its windy just pull apart the cotton ball and stick a twig straight through it, holding it down. If the ground is really damp put a couple of leaves under it and stick the stick through those too.
This even worked in near hurricane wind speeds.

Although I don't like them as much as a ferro rod, let me offer this simple tip. Build a true tinder bundle so you have a "nest" for your shavings. If you don't want the trouble and simply want a fire, use your thumb to make a depression in the ground. It doesn't have to be deep, only deep enough to get the magnesium out of the wind. A wind break is easily constructed too. Your tinder will be above the depression and that is where the heat from the magnesium is anyway.

Kev

I have tried all the methods here of stopping the mag from scattering - but in all honesty the amount of flames you get doesnt equal the time it took. I tried the duct tape idea but the entire lot went cartwheeling across my backyard. I dug a hole but the soil was damp so when i lit the mag (eventually) the tinder i placed on the damp soil just kept smoldering. And seeing as the mag only burns for a few seconds it doesnt dry out the ground around that small spot fast enough.
So then i tryed laying some dry twigs on the ground then putting a leaf on top and scraping the mag onto that. But this was the same with the tape.
Best way is still the PJ cotton ball - if its windy just pull apart the cotton ball and stick a twig straight through it, holding it down. If the ground is really damp put a couple of leaves under it and stick the stick through those too.
This even worked in near hurricane wind speeds.

Hey nick nack,

I think the right way of looking at this is the magnesium bar is not the best, nor the fastest way of starting a fire. Other methods are much quicker, fire steel and fire straw, for example. The beauty of the magnesium bar is that when and if, all else fails, it will work, unaffected by moisture, cold, critical mother in law, etc. It can be used with a piece of sharp rock, glass or any other hard, sharp edge.

It's the fall back position. Stick one in your pack, pocket, wherever and forget about it. Personally, I keep one on my belt fastened with a loop of 550. Most of the time I forget it's there, but if I ever need it............

The foregoing does not mean that you shouldn't become proficient with it, however. That applies to all tools, of course.

Doc

I think the right way of looking at this is the magnesium bar is not the best, nor the fastest way of starting a fire. Other methods are much quicker, fire steel and fire straw, for example. The beauty of the magnesium bar is that when and if, all else fails, it will work, unaffected by moisture, cold, critical mother in law, etc. It can be used with a piece of sharp rock, glass or any other hard, sharp edge.

Doc

The only problem I have with a mag bar is that I can get these same exact results by epoxying a piece of fatwood to a larger ferro rod. And, I get fire with much less effort.

But then again, I guess a mag bar is already "assembled".

Back