Firestone belt axe?

AR fan

BANNED
Anyone out there have any experience with this axe/hatchet, good or bad??

I have this Firestone Axe and never really bonded with it. I threw it a few times, but my more traditional hawks and hatchets are the ones that get used. The edge profile is a little thick and it never took an edge like my Wetterlings, although to be fair I never tried all that hard.

I have one. Only used it a couple times. For me the edge is a bit thick. The leather holster it comes with is outstanding though:thumbup:

Sorry for no pics or vids but...
Normally I use a small saw on the new Xmas tree for trimming off the small branches and cutting a few inches off of the main trunk. This year my saw was lost in a sea of garage madness and I couldn't find it. I grabbed my firestone belt axe and used it to great success. Out of the box the edge is like any knife I have. I easily sliced through the side branches (inch or two in diameter). Almost too easy. I had the tree sticking out of the back of my truck and I had to be careful of axe flight path since it cleanly sliced through the braches. The curved handle really allows good power with excellent retention. When it came to chopping through the trunk (to shorten tree and have a new end to absorb water) I was concerned that a 440c blade might chip. Bottom line...it didn't. It bit well and was through the trunk quickly. I then used short controlled slicing cuts directly across the bottom to make it flat for the tree stand. I have had this axe for a while. I bought it because the sheath makes it as easy as a knife to carry. I was impressed. I would have already taken this axe through the motions but most of the backpacking areas around here (TN) don't allow axes of any kind...so I usually take a large bowie or khukuri. I think this axe is worth a try. Hope this helps your choice. FYI, the tree was a fir.

edit...the edge shaves paper out of the box despite being a thick axe

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to get one. It arrived today and its looks to be well designed tool.
It sliced paper cleanly. I could see who it could be used as a knife also, if need be.

Back