1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

First 31 impression from a 21 lover

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by kylemiller, Mar 9, 2020.

1. jonnieb27

jonnieb27

Sep 13, 2008
    OP said, "Early impression from a 31 skeptic. 21 is my GOAT and I didn't like the canted clip and felt the ceramic lock interface was a needless addition that gives the knife more complexity with no benefit."

My thoughts exactly. And it is interesting that the (very) few reviews I've seen so far on the 31 discuss the new features more like they are explaining them, and how they don't materially detract from the knife, not like they think these features add anything significant to the essential Chris Reeve Folder (The Classic/21, for those that aren't clear :)).

It must be exceptionally difficult to upgrade a product that was already the result of many evolutionary tweaks. The 21 stands out as an almost perfect folding pocket knife in every way.

Think of so many other products that were game changers, and in latter years were tweaked, and features added, that did not improve on the original. As a carpenter/cabinetmaker, I find (at 60) there were so many original products that were changed from ideal to fairly useless by unnecessary changes and "value" engineering.

I have to give credit to CRK for the way they have managed to update the product line while still staying true to their core vision.

I recently added an Umnumzaan to the collection, and while I really really like the knife, and understand some of the changes, it still does not surpass the Sebenza 21 in overall design and engineering. The Sebenza 21 is a marvel of simplicity, and the newer offerings, without the pivot bushing, and multiple tools needed for disassembly, and differing screws and fasteners, IMHO, are not actual improvements on the purity of concept of the 21.

This is not to denigrate the 31. Again, I give CRK full credit for thinking up ways to remain relevant in their field. I've also lusted after a Inkosi, but for now, the Umnum fills that desire. And I am perfectly happy with my four 21s.

Thanks, OP, for a well rounded and interesting review.

gaucheist, tuica, Caffiend and 4 others like this.
  2. kylemiller

kylemiller

May 18, 2016
    Want to add an update because I took the knife down to install a new lanyard. One of my favorite feature of the 21, all matching hardware, is gone. The new hardened stop pin is so tightly fit that I did not try to remove the female screw from the lock side or remove the bushing from it. The male screw for that part is also shorter than the rest. The pivot and backspacer hardware is still identical.

Just wanted to throw this out there because I hadn't heard about it yet.

Caffiend likes this.
  3. Silverstonev8

Silverstonev8 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2018
    They are not the same as the 21. They are one piece and have two shorter screws.
    CE6F2DE4-8298-44F8-B636-60887C52D75D.jpeg

4. kylemiller

kylemiller

May 18, 2016
    Ah. I didn't turn the lockside screw and just thought it was a really tight fit. Didn't do this is the very best lighting.

5. ekastanis

ekastanis Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Anyone notice that the fixturing hole is still present in the show scale, but is covered up by the inlay? When I look from the backside of the scale I can see the bottom on the inlay. Interesting that the hole would be deleted on the PJ but retained on the inlay models.

6. Silverstonev8

Silverstonev8 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2018
    The hole that’s under the inlay is to aid in the removal of the inlay material. 21s with inlays have holes under each inlay as well.

Dcdavis and ekastanis like this.
  7. ekastanis

ekastanis Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2018
    Interesting, thank you. I don't remember that on my small 21 micarta but I'll check later just to convince myself. Sure enough there is also a small hole under the inlay on the lock side scale on the 31, at the back near the spacer.