First Busse?

My first was the Bird's Beak Steel Heart II in 1994, shortly followed by the original Badger Attack.

Fun story about that first knife:

I was at home recuperating after heart surgery when the knife came. I was sitting in a recliner in the den, all 6'8" of me in an open pajama top with my nasty-looking, red scabby incision
down my chest on full display, along with three puncture wounds where the drains had been removed. I was holding the BB SH II, examining and fondling it. My daughter Kim, then an early developing 13 years old, walked through the den with a neighborhood boy in tow that I had never seen before. I noticed him eyeing me, the knife, and my prominent wounds. As they walked out I said, "Son, you should have seen the loser."

He never came back. Kim was furious with me, but laughs about it now.

That's funny, Mike! Do you still have those two?

First for me was Basic 11… I had bought Swamp Rat Ratmandu Custom Shop & Scrap Yard 511 Military Overrun shortly before this so I knew they were awesome! Sadly I don't have any of those knives anymore… no regrets though.

First for me was Basic 11… I had bought Swamp Rat Ratmandu Custom Shop & Scrap Yard 511 Military Overrun shortly before this so I knew they were awesome! Sadly I don't have any of those knives anymore… no regrets though.

Never had a Basic. Are they as good as everyone says they are?

...Sarcasm, everyone knows a Busse can't be over-hyped :D

Pumpkin bossjack cg. I was looking for "just one knife" er.... Sharpened prybar..... And well, the name of the model kinda sucked me right in. I mean, BOSS JACK. I can't say it enough to make it sound less cool. It's the busse model I would be most likely to be found with multiples of. It's the easiest to carry of blades in the 5-7" category. Tough to beat a 6" blade you can carry all day every day and still baton wood with it.

My first was & still is FBMLE #4 as put together by Jerry.
2vcccxg.jpg

7 years of hard work later I finally scored her little sister, maybe I should name them LEah & Rachel...
nzom52.jpg

Never had a Basic. Are they as good as everyone says they are?

...Sarcasm, everyone knows a Busse can't be over-hyped :D
They're better, seriously! Referring to all Basics except the Basic 4 which has a different style handle, I feel the shape, texture and type of material all contribute to making the Basic handle one of, if not the most comfortable Busse handle ever made. The handles on the Basic 3 & 5 are smaller than the others, some say too small, but I think they are fine for lighter (non-chopping) use. The B3, B5, B7 & B9 are modified-INFI; as I recall, at that time the only difference between M-INFI and INFI was INFI contained cobalt, so they still offer superior performance at a reduced price.

Question: How many pieces one-at-a-time of 1" hemp rope can a Basic 9 cut?
Answer: No one knows, because they ran out of rope at 2771 cuts! See the 1st post here.

Thanks gk4ever2, now I know what to get a hold of whenever I recover from my latest plunge.
What was that plunge, you ask? It was a military overrun HG55 :)
I also got a 'kin knife as a gift for my brother, but it's not as cool haha

This 1/300 SHBM was my first - kicked off a habit for sure!

Long since gone for many reasons however hope to have another one day.

Regards,
Dicko.

Dicko, love these slabs on your Shbm. Did you hand sand them yourself? Looks real good!

Dicko, love these slabs on your Shbm. Did you hand sand them yourself? Looks real good!
The earlier SHBMs came from the factory with smooth grips, so I'm pretty sure those are the factory grips.

Back