First CRK Factory Service Experience

photoman12001

Gold Member
I just completed my first experience with CRK factory service with four knives. Overall it was a good experience, though I've had no bad experience with any knife factory service from Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT, or Emerson.

Summary:
  • The overall process took just over two months. That's much slower than others but it's probably a smaller operation and the spa treatment has to take some time. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that is batch work too.
  • They followed my request for each knife well, except the Large Regular NICA 400.
  • They would not refinish the NICA 400 Regular handle because someone had done a Scrotchbrite pad treatment at some point. Not a big deal but I think it's worth noting.
  • I had dual thumb studs installed on the three 21s for $35 each. This was worth it to me but I think it should be standard from the factory like on the Inkosi.
  • The large Insingo micarta received a full spa treatment and it looks new, better really since I replaced the pocket clip with an insert and now there is no rub mark from the clip. I'm very pleased with this. They also adjusted the lock bar tension and reapplied the heat treatment to its face.
  • Being deprived of a third of my CRK collection sucked, especially since these are some of my favorites and EDC knives.
_DSC4530%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsesvkgu4o.jpg

By the way, I actaully like the contrasting look on the scale of the large Regular NICA 400 but I just wanted it to match the factory finish on the small version I have.

45A03BAA-63DB-4074-8A14-3A73FD2B4185_zpsolkig1jp.jpg

Last edited:
May I please ask, since I now have a large 21 Carbon Fiber inlay, like your small CF Insingo....

What all will CRK do for spa treatment on that model, given that its got a polished blade, handles, etc ???
I really want to USE my CF 21, but stress over messing up its wonderful condition.

BTW = Awesome set of CRK's there !!

I only sent that one in for dual thumb studs but I don't believe they will refinish the polished handles. As I understand it, the inlays are essentially impossible to remove. They will re-blast the micarta inlayed knives though.

I guess they would tune the action and sharpen the blade, basically what they did with my Large Regular NICA 400.

I say use it. I'm going to carry mine.

Last edited:
Thanx for the info -

Unfortunately, that confirms what I was afraid of = not much can be done (officially) to refurb a CF- or wood-inlayed Sebenza...

I think it's worth noticing that many other companies would give new thumbstuds for free, of course these are press fitted so they have to change them themselves but still 35$ is hard to justify, especially since we pay lots of money for what is supposed to be great customer service.

Also they would do the regular if they cared, because why wouldn't they. I understand that they may not have spare blades for regulars so they don't want to change the thumbstuds in case something goes wrong but refinishing the handles doesn't seem to be a problem, especially since lots of guys would do this for you for a small fee.

I'm a serious CRK fanboy, haven't carried other knives for years, but let's keep it real, service is OK but nothing more and I don't see why everybody says how great it is.

Finally, I'm glad you got your knives back and congrats on your collection

^^^^^ I can't disagree with your assessment. As I stated early in the post, I've gotten good service from every knife company I've dealt with. People claim that Emerson's good service is a justification for their low value knives (mediocre materials & fit/finish for the price) too but their service was no better than what I got from any other manufacturer. CRK's was on par as well but not a cut above. In fact, when you consider that they charge to replace small parts and for return shipping while Benchmade and others don't, they could be considered slightly below par. Refinishing the handles (when they do it) is nice though.

Benchade is my gold standard for service. I've sent them about 20 knives over the past couple of years for various things from minor factory defects to refurbishing well-worn users. Some highlights:
  • No questions ever asked. They just bring them back to factory mechanical specs.
  • Replaced aftermarket parts installed by a previous owner of one my 15030s with factory parts at my request, no charge.
  • Replaced early tan painted Adamas scales with the newer dyed G10 scales free of charge though there was no functional issue.
  • Brand new blades for $35.
  • Free pocket clip replacements sent at any time.
  • No return shipping charge.
  • I never have an issue getting a customer service rep on the phone.
None of the other companies match all of these. Zero Tolerance comes the closest.

Last edited:
There was mention that CRK should replace thumbstuds for free.... I have had 50+ CRK knives over a 12 year period and have never broken one myself or seen someone have a broken one. So really is the issue that some of the blue anodizing wore off with pocket carry? And the expectation is they should replace it with a new shiny one that will wear off again in about two days?

I only had studs replaced to get doubles on my 21s. It was worth it to me because I will enjoy them much more with double studs but I think they should come from the factory with double studs.

I don't mind worn anodizing on them. If I did I'd just swap out for silver hardware.

Benchmade has been the gold standard for service since the last century.

I only had studs replaced to get doubles on my 21s. It was worth it to me because I will enjoy them much more with double studs but I think they should come from the factory with double studs.

I don't mind worn anodizing on them. If I did I'd just swap out for silver hardware.

Totally agree that the doubles are better, and personally I like them in silver to avoid the wear issue.

My comment, was not clear, but was directed to Makak with his statement that new thumb studs should be given for free. I think CRK would replace it for free if their was a workman ship issue.

You probably misunderstood my statement, I am not from an English speaking country so there might be an issue. I don't think I said what they should or shouldn't do as I am not in a position to do that, I just pointed out what some other companies do so it's relevant when you want to say if customer service is superior or not. I am not criticizing CRK, their customer service terms is their decision, I think it's reasonable and I'm OK with it although sometimes it's just worse than what others provide. I personally don't care about anodizing wearing off as you not so kindly insinuated.
regards

You probably misunderstood my statement, I am not from an English speaking country so there might be an issue. I don't think I said what they should or shouldn't do as I am not in a position to do that, I just pointed out what some other companies do so it's relevant when you want to say if customer service is superior or not. I am not criticizing CRK, their customer service terms is their decision, I think it's reasonable and I'm OK with it although sometimes it's just worse than what others provide. I personally don't care about anodizing wearing off as you not so kindly insinuated.
regards

Perhaps he did misunderstand your statement. It can be difficult at times to discern what the goal is behind making statements that seem inflammatory such as this one; "I'm a serious CRK fanboy, haven't carried other knives for years, but let's keep it real, service is OK but nothing more and I don't see why everybody says how great it is."

Here is another example; You say "it's worse than what others provide"
When you could have said; It's not as good as others provide.
It may not seem like much, but the difference is there.

Both of the statements I quoted and bolded above could be and probably are viewed as an affront on the namesake of the forum in which it was posted.
As far as the service from other companies? I really don't have much experience with them, so it would not be prudent for me to discuss. The only commentary on the subject I have would be that I am glad to have the level of service that exists currently. I have used it a few times for various things and found it quite acceptable, if not over and above what they had to provide. For the most part, I don't expect any company to give me anything for free. It's nice when it happens, but certainly not expected.

^^^ I was trying to highlight a point that you made earlier, it gave the impression since CRKs don't have a history of thumbstuds failing that is was an issue with cosmetics. Your response indicates that is not the issue .

So is the expectation of great customer service to customize an existing knife with a functioning thumbstud to one with a double sided one at no fee?

Sorry sir, I don't know how to be more clear and you still miss my point completely so seems to make no sense to argue with you. I hope you have a great day.

Bhyde, you're absolutely right about the choice of words, that's actually what I meant, didn't want to sound inflammatory at all. Looks like these are the things that dictionary won't tell. I hope nobody got offended

Sorry sir, I don't know how to be more clear and you still miss my point completely.

Wasn't arguing, I asked questions to try to get to the root of your initial stance, and I thank you for responding.

Honestly, I require good customer service as much of the next guy. But CRK is definitely the best IMO based on my experience. First off, being able to have your knife readily refurbished to "new condition" for $30 is amazing. (Only $30 to re-stonewash the blade). Secondly, CRK isn't a huge company like Benchmade. They don't have the means to offer blade replacements for $35 or free pocket clips. I think the fact that they even offer blade replacements is a very good thing.

As for them not refinishing your NICA Tanto... They won't do anything to CGG, wood, or the CF inlays. Which is fine, I just prefer my plain janes and micarta inlaid knives for that reason. When a scotchbrite pad is used it knocks off the edges and it's "out of spec" according to CRK.

I believe CRK is a leader among midetech knife customer service. :)

At least IMO CRK is in the top tier of customer service providers. They have always responded to my ?'s and my needs in a friendly and efficient manner. Once you make it to the top group, I care very little who is actually best. At least from my experience & knowledge of the company-If they won't work on something, there is a reason. They have always gone out of their way to be helpful to me.

I've never needed them so I guess that's saying something on its on but I have asked them many questions and I've always gotten quick responses. I have 9 CRK's now though and they are all perfect. The "Spa treatment" is pretty cool though and I may utilize it in the future.

Back